filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azzurri

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I tried to post this earlier, not sure if it was allowed because for picture purposes I referenced another discussion forum's thread on my aquarium. So I'll omit the link and re-post. Anyways....

I recently bought a Petco Arc Preferred 6.25 G aquarium. I am new to aquaria, and trying to learn how to do things. I change 20%+ of my water and rinse my filters once a week at staggered intervals.

My aquarium comes with slide in filters and a sponge in a black box with gaps in the back. The filters are black plastic cartridges with beads in them and a white cover.

How often should these be changed? I have had the aquarium roughly a month and this would be my first whenever it happens.

Second, does anyone have any idea what filters this aquarium uses? The instructions do not say. I contacted Petco and others and apparently it's new enough no one knows. I looked in one of my local pet stores and they didn't have it. I may try the fish supply next but it's on the other side of a big city.

The filters are 9x3x1/2 roughly.

The filter cartridge should only be changed when its falling apart. They should last at least 6 months but usually closer to a year before needing to be replaced.

Make sure you're not rinsing with tap water. Not good for your bacteria. When doing rinsing during water changes, just rinse in the bucket of water you just sucked out of the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom