Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok since we moved from Atlanta, I have given away my 29 gallon tank and the fish. I have my 15 gallons TALL with me, however I lost the filter in the move. I still have the filter I used on 29 gallons - Marineland Emperor Bio-Wheel 280 Power Filter. I believe it is rated at 280GPH flow.
My question is can I use this filter for the 15 gallon TALL or will this be too much flow for the tank?

I am planning to keep this cold water with WHITE CLOUD MOUNTAIN MINNOWS.

Please advice

That will definetely be too much flow! All the good bacteria in the filter, that will denitrify your tank water will be blown out.
Consider a much smaller filter e.g. a power filter, that will hang on the back of your aquarium. The filter volume should be about 2-4% of your aquarium, maybe a little more. It should only pump your aquarium water about 4 times per hour.

though the rated GPH is 280, i believe the biowheel filters deliver a lot less than that, with all the filter media in place. so even though you are theoretically touching 20x, i believe you'll practically get around 15x or so. at that gph, i believe your tank will be fine (its never bad to overfilter your tank). don't worry about bacteria being dislodged from the filter, i'm pretty sure that they have enough 'stiction' (friction on nano-scale) to remain bound to the media-surface.

if you are still worried, you can use a AC sponge (from your lfs) as a prefilter to reduce the flow somewhat.

also the fish that you intend to keep would prefer strong currents.

tetrin said:
(its never bad to overfilter your tank).
As long as the fishies arn't having trouble swimming. I overestimated the head loss and ended up pumping 800 GPH into my 75 gallon. Those poor little guys had to swim for all thier worth.

If your outlet from a canister is under the water surface the is no head loss. Only flow loss due to the media and friction in the tubes.

mattrox said:
If your outlet from a canister is under the water surface the is no head loss. Only flow loss due to the media and friction in the tubes.
I had been working on a sump situation, so the head loss would be from sump water line to display tank water line.

greenmaji said:
it would be from the pumps output to the highest point in the plumbing actually.. but thats close.. :p
Doesn't a submerged pump get the hydrolic boost from the water weight same as a siphon would? If you had a closed loop, once the pipe was primed it would not run diffrently above or below the tank.

dskidmore said:
greenmaji said:
it would be from the pumps output to the highest point in the plumbing actually.. but thats close.. :p
Doesn't a submerged pump get the hydrolic boost from the water weight same as a siphon would? If you had a closed loop, once the pipe was primed it would not run diffrently above or below the tank.

I was refering of external pumps.. my bad.. (internal pumps add heat to your water so I try to aviod big internal pumps)

Back
Top Bottom