Filter Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
1) I'm planning a 125 Discus tank, and I had some questions about the filtration. I was going to go with a Cascade canister filter because that's what I use for my 55gal. I don't know what size/model though. The 1200 filters up to 150gal and has a 315gph flow, but the 1500 filters up to 200gal with a 350gph flow. Since discus require really clean water, I was leaning towards the 1500. But will that be too strong of a current for the discus or what?
2) What's the difference between ceramic bio-rings and a bio-sponge? I've only used bio sponges in the past, would the rings help keep the water clearer than a sponge?
3) Would zeolite be any help in a filter for a discus aquarium? Or would it remove the blackwater tannins?

Any extra info on filtration for a discus aquarium would be great!

You need to consider what you mean by "clean" water. Cannister filters are good at removing waste and storing it out of sight. However, they are storing it and it needs to be considered still in the tank. How much filtration you actually need depends on a number of factors. Number and size of fish, planted or not are going to affect the amount of filtration needed. The other consideration is how often the water will be changed. No filter can reduce ammonia and nitrite below zero. the nitrate levels then become the indicator for how often and how much water should be changed. With discus, this tends to be often and large, to keep nitrates low. Keeping a filter clean will also help with that.
Bio sponges and bio rings do much the same biologically, but the sponges also trap debris, and no the rings will not help keep the water clearer; that is not their function. I wouldn't use zeolite, whose function is to remove ammonia, which is also the function of your filtration. Use the space for more bio media or floss to polish the water.
A 350 gph flow should not be an issue on a 125 gallon tank, especially if the water is returned through a pray bar.
Keep in mind that if the smaller filter was in fact sufficient to filter the tank, the larger filter will not filter it more (although it may pick up more debris) and the water will still need to be changed on the same schedule.
All this doesn't really answer your question, but hopefully it will help you decide. Good luck.

You need to consider what you mean by "clean" water. Cannister filters are good at removing waste and storing it out of sight. However, they are storing it and it needs to be considered still in the tank. How much filtration you actually need depends on a number of factors. Number and size of fish, planted or not are going to affect the amount of filtration needed. The other consideration is how often the water will be changed. No filter can reduce ammonia and nitrite below zero. the nitrate levels then become the indicator for how often and how much water should be changed. With discus, this tends to be often and large, to keep nitrates low. Keeping a filter clean will also help with that.
Bio sponges and bio rings do much the same biologically, but the sponges also trap debris, and no the rings will not help keep the water clearer; that is not their function. I wouldn't use zeolite, whose function is to remove ammonia, which is also the function of your filtration. Use the space for more bio media or floss to polish the water.
A 350 gph flow should not be an issue on a 125 gallon tank, especially if the water is returned through a pray bar.
Keep in mind that if the smaller filter was in fact sufficient to filter the tank, the larger filter will not filter it more (although it may pick up more debris) and the water will still need to be changed on the same schedule.
All this doesn't really answer your question, but hopefully it will help you decide. Good luck.

Very helpful, thank you. I plan on cleaning out the filter at least once a week, with at least a 10% water change weekly. The discus I'm buying are still babies, about 1.5"-2". I might get a few rams later, but for the most part the discus will be the only fish in the tank. I was going to plant it heavily and have a CO2 system.

I dont think 10% weekly is going to cut it on a discus tank. While I dont have any experience with them, the research I did (which kept me from getting them) told me that daily 10% or more water changes are almost a necessity while they're juvies, bi-weekly or more large water changes (50% or more) are required later on. I totally agree with what BillD said in regards to your filter.

As far as filtration goes..a tank that size is always best to have a canister filter. I would stick to the 1200. I don't know if you're able to seperate it to pull water from both ends of the tank, but if not. I would go with a HOB to add to the other side of the tank. Depends on what the dimensions are as well. Is it a 6ft or a 4ft?

first off you can never have too much filtration... but water flow can become an issue. for a 125G tank a 340GPH flow rate should not be a problem especially as Bill said if its returned through a spray bar.

I personally prefer canister filters, i believe they are easier to clean and also are normally stored under the tank inside the stand and thus out of sight.

+1 for 10% not cutting it... as per the research ive done, the same as mfd, much larger PWCs are needed for that type of fish.

Thanks guys, I will definitely do more research on the water changes, I'll ask my discus breeder what he does.

Depends on what the dimensions are as well. Is it a 6ft or a 4ft?

The tank is 5' long, 2' high, and 18" deep

Back
Top Bottom