Filter questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a tetra power whisper filter for 60 gallons. I have a 55 gallon. I bought it used with my tank and I want a new filter as it is a little more run down.

My tank is on the overstocked side. I obviously keep up with my water changes to make sure my stock is healthy. I like the look of overstocked tanks - I take the price!

My question is... I'm wondering if I can buy a higher powered filter than recommended. Say... 80 to 100 gallon filter. Is that okay to do? I don't want my fish to get stuck to my filter intake! I have everything from giant angels to little platys.

The top of my tank is weird I would like to add a second filter and do two 60 gallon filtration systems but unfortunately my back is weird. And because it's used - I have no idea what it is, how to replace it/fix it/whatever.

image-761997427.png

This is my current filter

image-4257185793.jpg

Sorry bad picture. This is the left side of my tank on my hood. No open slot for a HOB filter

I have everything from giant angels to little platys.
YEAH!!! PLATIES!!! :ROFLMAO:

I think you should get another filter. You could get another filter like the one you already have, or, you could get a bigger filter altogether. (I would do the first option). You generally want to have gph rating of the filter(s) to be at least 10x the volume of the tank. (i.e., 550 gph for 55 gallons). The filter you have has 330 gph. If you have two of those, it would give you 660 gph. More than you need, which is great. Some argue that gph 5x the volume of the tank is fine, but 10x is obviously better, and BIGGER is BETTER!!!!!!!!! (y)

Yeah kinda. I mean, before when I would add quarter sized angels to my tank I'd find them dead attached to the filter. First I thought it was my slightly bigger angel. I found out that wasn't and it was just the overpowering filter. The quarter sized angels couldn't take it.

Unless the fish are uncontrollably getting blown around the tank then it's not over filtered. I don't think that the angels were getting overpowered by the filter. It's more likely that they died and then wound up getting sucked against it. But if you're worried about it you could always put a pre filter sponge over the intake.

Unless the fish are uncontrollably getting blown around the tank then it's not over filtered. I don't think that the angels were getting overpowered by the filter. It's more likely that they died and then wound up getting sucked against it. But if you're worried about it you could always put a pre filter sponge over the intake.

Okay. Well pea sized angels were all okay on the other side of the tank.
So maybe I'll just add the sponge attachments. Thanks a bunch :)

I would get an Aquaclear 110. Its not as big as what you have and its a good filter. It has adjustable flow and the media chambers are customizable.

With your heavy stock I might look into a canister. You have an oscar too, right? They produce a ton of waste as they get bigger so the more filtration the better! :)

I've just bought the Rena xp3 for my current 55g and then it's moving to my 100g ish when we build it.. But I found this filter superb , I noticed the water clearer in a couple of hours and the flow is adjustable, as its new I'm using it alongside my hob and my fish are mollies/platys/bs tetras/ corys and a Pleco and none are bothered by the flow ;) bigger is better ... And it's super silent too which impressed me the most.

Hello Angel...

Provided you're good about changing half of the water in your tank every couple of weeks, you don't need high end filtration. The filter is simply turning over water that's already clean. A filter with a gallon per hour (gph) rating 4 times the volume of your tank is sufficient. Yours is rated at 330 gallons, which is fine. A good canister filter will run you about $90.00. About 4 times more than your current filter. I don't believe the canister is 4 times better than your Whisper filter.

Replace the Whisper with a new one. Change your tank water regularly and your fish and plants will be fine.

B

Hello Angel...

Provided you're good about changing half of the water in your tank every couple of weeks, you don't need high end filtration. The filter is simply turning over water that's already clean. A filter with a gallon per hour (gph) rating 4 times the volume of your tank is sufficient. Yours is rated at 330 gallons, which is fine. A good canister filter will run you about $90.00. About 4 times more than your current filter. I don't believe the canister is 4 times better than your Whisper filter.

Replace the Whisper with a new one. Change your tank water regularly and your fish and plants will be fine.

B

Thank you. My filter is pretty much shot so I do need a new one. But I will keep that in mind.

And I had a 3" Oscar but do to him being too aggressive I gave him to my friend and got a new small Oscar hoping that it would be a little more mellow. It's a pretty small little guy. Granted he will get big though. If he turns aggressive too, I will also give him up and not get anymore oscars until I have the availability of another tank suitable for them.

Back
Top Bottom