Filter slime, is this bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleykw

Aquarium Advice Regular
My filter is growing some nasty-looking stuff. At first I figured it was beneficial bacteria, but it’s beginning to look unsightly. Is this stuff bad? If so, what should I do? Thanks!

It’s a 20g tropical tank with 1 male Platy and 1 male guppy. I do a 25% PWC 2-3 times per month. Tank has 2 filters (1 HOB and 1 internal). The HOB filter is what’s growing the gunk.

You can take the stuff inside the filter and put in some tank water and clean the case,motor,etc good and get rid of that junk.Swish the media in the tank water and put back in filter . Best I can do not knowing what kind of filter you have . Need to do this once or twice a month depending on how it gets in between . Also I would do water changes every week,no less than biweekly.

Yup cleaning the filter itself as well as giving the insert a good rinse in either water drained from the tank during a water change or TREATED tap water will get rid of the slime. I find I get that when I've been particularly bad about over feeding. With only 2 fish in the tank you can feed every other day to avoid this as well as making sure you do a water EVERY week.

I’d clean filter as well. Stops it choking filter / covering media and discourages from getting into main tank.

It's probably cutting your gph for sure. Once a week 50% water changes will cut down on the organics in your water that causes this build up. You can feed daily just a small amount. You don't have that many fish.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I gave my filter a good swish in some treated water and it’s looking nice again.

Back
Top Bottom