filter trouble!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebekahbirch

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
my filter has a gap behind it and the tank's right wall, (i'm terrible with computers so i don't think i can post a photo,) but the back of my filter there's a 1 cm-ish gap, and my danios keep swimming behind and getting STUCK between the wall, in an upright position, i'm scared that they'll get stuck there when i'm at shool, wen i can't help them, this has happened twice in one day! i have to free them manually, so without me there 24/7 watching them they might die? i don't know. can anyone suggest a way to block this gap? please these are my first three fish, i am fond of them!
Becky...XxX

rebekahbirch said:
Hi,
my filter has a gap behind it and the tank's right wall, (i'm terrible with computers so i don't think i can post a photo,) but the back of my filter there's a 1 cm-ish gap, and my danios keep swimming behind and getting STUCK between the wall, in an upright position, i'm scared that they'll get stuck there when i'm at shool, wen i can't help them, this has happened twice in one day! i have to free them manually, so without me there 24/7 watching them they might die? i don't know. can anyone suggest a way to block this gap? please these are my first three fish, i am fond of them!
Becky...XxX

I just lost a Tetra to this same issue yesterday. My plan is to pull the filter, take some filter pad or aqua safe foam and hot glue it to the filter housing, closing the gap completely. Something soft and flexable will keep any holes/gaps from remaining.

Not sure what kind of filter you have but, hopefully this might give you an idea of how to deal with yours. If someone else posts, maybe they might have a better idea and we can both use it :).

Good luck!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

sounds quite good actually, thanks Mr. Limpet. i'll ask my mum if she can help me! and i know it's quite upsetting when one of your fish dies, but i'm sort of glad that i'm not the only one that's been through this! i'll try out your method, thank you!

Hiya, I had to make my filter fry friendly so the babies didn't get sucked in lol. The way I did this was to raid the house for a fine netting kind of like a pair of my misses's tights lol. I just covered up any holes I could find and then keep them in place with a rubber band !

I just lost a Tetra to this same issue yesterday. My plan is to pull the filter, take some filter pad or aqua safe foam and hot glue it to the filter housing, closing the gap completely. Something soft and flexible will keep any holes/gaps from remaining.

I never thought of that solution before. I quite like it. If you are going to keep using that filter, that is what I would do now. I believe that that is your best solution.

rebekahbirch said:
sounds quite good actually, thanks Mr. Limpet. i'll ask my mum if she can help me! and i know it's quite upsetting when one of your fish dies, but i'm sort of glad that i'm not the only one that's been through this! i'll try out your method, thank you!

If your filter is inside the tank held on by suction cups, then it's like mine (close to?). If it hangs on the back (HOB filter), you could try just putting filter pad (?) in the gap and let the weight of the filter hold it in place.

I haven't tested mine yet, so I can't be certain it'll resolve the issue the first time around.

Let us know what and how it works please.

Are they getting stuck behind the intake tube or literally behind the lip that the filter hangs on? Most hang-on filters come with adjustable spacer. Do you have this spacer on the very bottom of the filter?

Dude1982 said:
Hiya, I had to make my filter fry friendly so the babies didn't get sucked in lol. The way I did this was to raid the house for a fine netting kind of like a pair of my misses's tights lol. I just covered up any holes I could find and then keep them in place with a rubber band !

Her issue is them getting behind it and getting trapped between the filter and glass.

yea, my filter has sucktion cups, then has an adjustable way to tilt the filter. i've pushed it back as far as i can go, but the manage to get behind the small gap that the sucktion-cup-plastic part left- they are such skinny fish! they end up with their little heads pointing skyward just wriggling around helplessly till i can move the filter, it looks so horrible!
Becky...XxX

Ooh right lol there getting stuck behind it. I've never had an issue with my fishes like that sorry I misread it. Anyway I would go with mr.limpets suggestion !

rebekahbirch said:
yea, my filter has sucktion cups, then has an adjustable way to tilt the filter. i've pushed it back as far as i can go, but the manage to get behind the small gap that the sucktion-cup-plastic part left- they are such skinny fish! they end up with their little heads pointing skyward just wriggling around helplessly till i can move the filter, it looks so horrible!
Becky...XxX

That's exactly what my sitution is and how I found my fish :(.

Are Tetras that suicidal? lol.

About 20 mins after I turned off the tank light, I went and turned on the kitchen light and couldn't see one of them, after 5 mins I see one dart in between the filter and tank wall. Needless to say I found the missing Tetra, I quickly pulled the filter off and freed the 2 of them. I'll find out in the morning if they'll survive their wedgie ;).

Here's my solution and I'll report back if it works (or utter failure).

Pic 1. Filter pad that I got from a pond shop (loose weave, easily compressed).
Pic 2. Cut out of the pad for the media bin. I made sure that it would fit out to all the edges, but not interfere with the motor.
Pic 3. Pad hot glued to bin (note cutout for suction cup). I glued it in several spots to make sure it didn't shift later on.
Pic 4. Filter motor and pad cutout (note cutouts for suction cups).
Pic 5. Pad attached to motor. Make sure to note tech info before gluing pad over it ;).
Pic 6. Completed filler on back of assembled filter unit.
Pic 7. Filter installed in tank (sorry, couldn't avoid reflection). Works well, but noted that if I press suction cups too hard, the bin would seperate from the motor.

Side note: After installation, one Tetra made a mad dash for gap and bonk its nose on filler. Hey it works! lol.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110403_234539.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110403_234539.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 62
  • ForumRunner_20110403_234556.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110403_234556.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 51
  • ForumRunner_20110403_234616.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110403_234616.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20110403_234635.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110403_234635.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 56
  • ForumRunner_20110403_234658.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110403_234658.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 62
  • ForumRunner_20110403_234720.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110403_234720.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 53
  • ForumRunner_20110403_234737.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110403_234737.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 65
thanks mr. limpet! i'll show this method to my mum and see if we can do the same sort of thing! you've saved my fishes thank you so much!! :D

rebekahbirch said:
thanks mr. limpet! i'll show this method to my mum and see if we can do the same sort of thing! you've saved my fishes thank you so much!! :D

Glad to help.

If you find some way to improve it please post it, as sharing is the cornerstone of AA IMHO.

Edit: So far the 2 suicidal Tetras from last night are doing good :D.

Back
Top Bottom