Filter vs filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsryman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been looking at the canister type filters at my lfs. Thinking of going this route in hopes it might be quiter than the hang on back type that came with my tank originally. What pros and cons are there to changing to this type of filtering?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Canister filters offer a much higher flow rate and more media capacity. They'll be able to handle much higher bioloads as they can stock more media, will require cleaning less often. I have two Fluval 406's on my turtles 155L tank (Each one is rated for 400L), overkill but the water quality is fantastic.

I'd recommend either Eheim or Fluval filters (other favourites are the Rena XP series amongst others). How large is your aquarium and what's it stocked with?

I only have a 55gal with a dwarf frog, 5 neon tetras, 4 danios, 3 catfish, 2 rainbow fish (but they're big) and 3 ottos. Also I have about 15 assassin snails...they seem to keep multiplying. Maybe I don't need a canister?

If you have a 55 gallon id say you definitely need a canister filter with your bioload. One rated for 2-300L should be ok, id recommend a fluval 206/306 personally.

I have Fluval 306 and Emperor 400 HOB in my 55 gal,both are fantastic ...Fluval is great...flow rate is great and you can customize media baskets...water clarity is top notch since I'm using purigen as a last stage of filtration...big plus of canisters is also how quiet they are, you can't hear them at all only indicators that they working is that you see water flow in the tank . You can also adjust flow rate...

I had a fluval 406 on my 55g, but that was partly because I knew I was upgrading to a 100g in time and didn't want to buy another. Absolutely loved it even though it was overkill...if there is such a thing with filtration.

Any chance the canister filters will prevent alge from growing in my tank?

The filter itself won't prevent algae, although it can help. Regular water changes are your best bet at keeping algae at bay, as this will reduce the nitrates in your water.

You can also try buying some phosphate remover and adding it to the filter (it'll need to be a fine filter bag, usually included with the phosphate remover). This can help to keep some types of algae at bay.

Don't have your lights on for more than 8 hours a day too.

I could be wrong but I think light is the chief promoter of algae. Might need to limit the time your lights are on.

I could be wrong but I think light is the chief promoter of algae. Might need to limit the time your lights are on.

You are correct, sir. Not doing water changes is also a large factor due to nitrates. Algae love themselves some nitrates.

Yeah I am not always regular when it comes to water changes. The lights I only leave them on from the time I go to bed until I get up in the a.m. I just bought a green moss ball. I heard those help control alge too.

I have a sunsun 304-a on my tank, it's quieter than my fluval c3 hob and quieter than my tetra whisper 60 air pump. It's really powerful, really inexpensive, and really big. Flowrate is 2000 liters / hour, 528gph.

Yeah, nitrogen is number one ingredient in plant fertlilzer. And also in poo.....
Id go with the canister, I really would. I get sick of buying HOB filters only to have them last for 6 months and then stop working completely, especially cheap ones. Actually I had to get out of bed last night at 2am because the spashing sound from my 40G was getting so loud from the water level being low I couldn't sleep. Dream about filling the bucket up and stopping the annoying sound then actually wake up and do it....strange I had to pee really bad too! lmao

Back
Top Bottom