Filter woes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceekay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so I've had a tank set up since April, abouts, of 2015...

40gal
Small Koi x1
Pictus Catfish x1
Plecostomus x1
Marineland Penguin 200 or something, "Bio-wheel" filter, at the moment... HOB filter system.
API big test kit (the one with the liquid additives and test tubes) shows all levels normal...

Since around August, I've been going through filter cartridges at a rate of at LEAST one a week. They become clogged with this gnasty brown slime that engulfs and chokes them out within 24hrs... Even with regular rinses every day, the slime just continues to accumulate and it eventually takes over the entire filter box and plugs it...

I've tried three different filter systems so far, YES all stating they're for at least 40-gal (had one that was rated for 55's), all with the same result...

Within 24hrs of installing a brand new filter and power-cleaning the filter box with HOT, chlorinated tap water and a good spray head, the box is lined with this brown slimy gunk, and the filter is clogged to the point of barely allowing water to pass through... Even now, after doing a 75% water change, vigorous gravel vacuuming, and installing a new filter (all of this done 2 days ago), the bio-wheel is not spinning for lack of water flow due to brown slime plugging the system up.

What the heck is this brown slime, and how do I stop it from completely taking over my filter in less than a day? :banghead:

(And before asking, cuz I know it's the first thing asked here by experts and I understand why; YES it was properly cycled. Also, I know I will need a bigger tank for the Koi, you don't need to tell me) :p

- CK

If it's a common Pleco it needs a much bigger tank as well. As you probably know.

Weird slime ? For one thing with those fish you are seriously Under filtered.

Even with regular goldfish I recommend 4-10x filtering. So minimum would be a filter rated for 160gallons. Canisters are usually better for such fish that produce major wastes.

That Koi may be stunted already. They grow super fast. Or they should.

I hope you find a solution and a pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, he's growing REALLY fast, I will need to find someone with a pond pretty soon, probably by spring.

Also, all of the pet shops (PetSmart/co and local fish guru shop) have been telling me canisters are unnecessary for freshwater... They also recently suggested I add a moss ball for aid in cleaning, and all I got was an exploded moss ball and even MORE crap in the tank... :S

Thanks, will give this a try.

There are vids for making a DIY filter in a bucket.

Canisters unnecessary ? Not for Oscars, Goldfish, Pleco tanks.
Granted the new HOBs are very nice. But for big turnover and lots of BB Canisters win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I picked up a canister filter on Monday... And the craziest thing... The tank is still CLEAN! :D

I didn't like how the instructions suggested 15-20 "bio-stars" or whatever, and only included 5... But I do like how the tank is still clean. I've not popped the filter open since running yet, but I don't see any brown slime in it... :)

Thanks, AA! :)

So I picked up a canister filter on Monday... And the craziest thing... The tank is still CLEAN! :D

I didn't like how the instructions suggested 15-20 "bio-stars" or whatever, and only included 5... But I do like how the tank is still clean. I've not popped the filter open since running yet, but I don't see any brown slime in it... :)

Thanks, AA! :)

Congrats on the new filter and its performance.
You can use other materials besides biostars. Pretty much any ceramic media will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom