Filter working? Does it need to make bubbles for oxygen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sugarloves

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive always had fish that could breath at the waters surface to get oxygen, but now that Ive got a 10 gallon community tank I want to be able to have other fish in it. I have a hang on the back type of filter but the water level is higher than that of the outflow on the filter. Thus, the current goes under the water withought falling ontop of it; im not getting tiny bubbles in the water. Is this ok for my non surface breathing fish? or do I need to lower the water level to get the bubbles?

As long as the surface is aggitated a bit, everything should be fine. Mine doesn't make bubbles either, just ripples the top of the water.

Do not need bubbles for oxygen. As long as the surface has some "rippling" from the filter outflow then it will be getting oxygen and gasing off co2. Bubbles in the water do not give the oxygen, it is the bubbles breaking at the top (rippling) that help oxygenate the water.

Ok thanks guys, I wasnt sure if the rippling helped with the exchange or it it actually needed the bubbles breaking the surface but this helps a lot and now im no longer worried.

As long as the filter flow is strong enough for the size tank you have, pretty easy to do on a 10gal, you are in good shape. Higher temps lower the O2 in the water also, so if you are worried about it keep the temp on the lower end of the comfortable range for the type of fish you keep.

Bubbles themselves are actually not that efficient at providing oxygen exchange. A bubble stream from an airstone or bubble wall actually provides most of its oxygen benefit by pulling water along with the bubbles and circulating the water so that less oxygenated water from the bottom gets some time at the surface. Circulation is the key. :turn-l:

Back
Top Bottom