Filterfloss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DannyBWell

Aquarium Advice Activist
I hear people talking about this but don't really know what it is I'm still a beginner and hoping to learn

Filter floss is usually made of polyester. People put it in their filters so that water is forced to flow through it, and the floss catches dirt and debris. It's normally used as a fine filter (catching smaller particles, although it will catch big things too), while sponges are typically used as less fine mechanical filtration.

Filter floss is also known as polyfill. The same stuff in pillows and blankets. It's an inexpensive media option as it costs around $5 for a big bag at any chain or craft store. It works great for polishing your water as it removes a lot of fine particles and debris. Just make sure it's plain poly and not the flame retardant type (which contains chemicals). Hope this helps! :)

Think of candy floss that i'm sure you've had as a kid or adult!!. It basically looks the same, except it's not pink, made from sugar or edible...haha

It's a fine mechanical filtration option that works extremely well. It looks like this(see pictures) and this bag cost me $3 at Walmart and should last several months. Compare that cost to $12 for a few fine foam filter pads and its an easy decision to make.

Attachments

• image-1237020909.jpg
    image-1237020909.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 53
  • image-3365612730.jpg
    image-3365612730.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 59
Ok cool the thing I still don't understand is do you just put a handful into the filter or do you have to make it so it fits in the slot where normal filters go sorry this is probably a stupid question but I'm still new to aquariums thanks for responding everyone

I hear people talking about this but don't really know what it is I'm still a beginner and hoping to learn

By now you've seen enough ++++++'s about Poly-fill. It's a great, inexpensive but effective mechanical filtration media, a 20oz bag lasted me over a year.

Ok cool the thing I still don't understand is do you just put a handful into the filter or do you have to make it so it fits in the slot where normal filters go sorry this is probably a stupid question but I'm still new to aquariums thanks for responding everyone

IMO, filter floss works better in some filters than in others. It works absolutely fabulous with sump filters, though, and some other trickle down-type filters. What kind of filter do you have?

David

Will any polyfil do is there any to stay away from?

As long as it's just 100% Poly-fill which you'll find at Target, Walmart .. around where I am Michael's Arts & Craft. I use the Fairfield Brand, but as long as it 100% ... no fire-retardants (has to be indicated) ... your good to go.

IMO, filter floss works better in some filters than in others. It works absolutely fabulous with sump filters, though, and some other trickle down-type filters. What kind of filter do you have?

David

Like I said I'm new I'm not sure what kind of filter I have ill attach a picture

image-3143130105.jpg

You can stuff it into the sump before the main filter. Just don't pack it too tightly, so that it restricts flow.

You could also take a sheet of it and cut it to roughly the same size of your filter cartridge, then just put it in there instead. Or put it in front of it so that you have more mechanical filtration.

Back
Top Bottom