Filters Filters Filters....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
My HOB filter for my 55gal tank has finally sucumbed to my sand substrate. It now makes an aweful noise, well not anymore i wedged my net in it and put a towel over it and it runs pretty quite. :roll:
Any way. For a few days I have been dabling with the idea of making my own filter...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=70787&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

But thinking it over i don't have the extra time to do it. I am one of those people who can't work on a project over a period of weeks. I have to get it done the day i start it. So, I might save it for this summer as something to keep me from getting too bored.

So now i have turned my attention to canisters after reading a few posts about them. I am not sure what size to get. Its for my 55gal tank, but if i do make the sump i want to be able to use it on a 30gal or 40gal tank.
Any Suggestions?
I was thinking about the Fulva, I don't really care about what it looks like etc... Just so long as its functional and quite. The tank is in my bedroom so scilence is golden. TIA

You can go with a Fluval 304 or 404, Rena XP2 or XP3, Cascade 1000, and a few others. These listed above are considered very good cannisters. I personally have an XP3 on a 55G, which will move to my 75G once set up. Eheim are good too, just a bit pricey, but very good filters.

You can just use the cannister with the tank, and not a sump, as I believe the top of the tank (waterlevel) has to be a certain height for the cannister to function properly. Also, even when using a sump, you still need an input and an output tube in the main tank, so I'd just go with the cannister. The input you can usually set the depth to what you want, and the output, usually have a choice of a power jet, the power jet with venturi attachment and flow control, or a spray bar.

Have you disassembled and cleaned your current filter? Might be all it takes to quiet it down and get it working like new again.

Last week I was convinced that the little penguin filter on my 10gal snail farm/QT was nearly dead. It was making noise and flowing very slowly. When I took it apart, I found that a mat of java moss had become entangled in the impeller, causing the problem that almost had me out at the store buying something new. .

Also, if it's due to sand, maybe your intake is too low to the sand. Try cleaning out the filter and raising the intake a bit. I have no problems with sand getting in my intakes on either my XP3 or Emperor 400, and I use pool filter sand in my 55G.

YuccaPatrol said:
Last week I was convinced that the little penguin filter on my 10gal snail farm/QT was nearly dead. It was making noise and flowing very slowly. When I took it apart, I found that a mat of java moss had become entangled in the impeller, causing the problem that almost had me out at the store buying something new. .

Hey, you having that problem too? lol. I'm always pulling java moss off the impeller in my Emperor 280 in my 26G with driftwood and java moss. Thinking of putting a filter mesh bag around the intake to see if that would help.

As I stated in my last post, like YuccaPatrol stated, it could just need a real good cleaning in the impeller unit and the well where the impeller sits. If you haven't done that, give it a try and let us know the results.

I did that the other night. I go so sick of trying to sleep with it i just pulled it out and cleaned out all the sand as best i could. I took out a section of the intake a second time. Its now sitting pretty high up.

You can just use the cannister with the tank, and not a sump, as I believe the top of the tank (waterlevel) has to be a certain height for the cannister to function properly.

What do you mean?
Dont you just have to put the intake near the top?
If the water level has to be really high i don't think it would work. I have a bichir and he breaths air from the atmosphere. So he requires at least an inch of air at the top of the tank.

Also would a 404 run in a 30 or 40 gal with out making it a whirl pool?

The reason i want to make a sump so badly is because, well simpley it sounds like a lot of fun atleast for me. I am really enjoy building and designing things. It also seems like better filtration because the water is going through filter medias for a lot longer, not to mention it dilutes the water a bit.

I was just saying I don't think you can put a cannister on a sump, as it's not high enough. But the main tank it is. So the best thing, is a sump alone and no cannister, or a cannister by itself. As for the intake for the cannister, you can have it as high or as low in the tank as you want. I got mine about 5 inches from the sand.

As for the 404, might be a bit powerful for the 30, but a 40 shouldn't be too much a problem. Also has a flow control, so you can turn the flow down a bit too.

I have never used a sump, but it does intrigue me some. Maybe someday I'll try building one on a future tank. If you decide on the sump, let us know how it goes. I'd be interested in seeing it when complete. :)

I will be sure to let you guys know how my sump making goes!. I think I am going to get the 304 its supposed to do well for up to 60 gals. That way if i do get the 30gal insetd of a 40 gal it won't be too much over kill. thanks for your help!

I have four Fluval cannisters and like them a lot. They're very quiet, and do a great job of cleaning the water. I have a 50 gallon acrylic with a 304, and it's sparkling clean all the time. However, be aware, the 304 does create quite a current. My fish love it, but yours may not. Fluvals have a feature called "aquastop". The feature controls the amount of water throughput with a single lever. It has a scale indicator and controls both the amount of water coming in as well as out. If a lot of current isn't desired, it can be controlled using this feature. But, if you slow the output, you slow the entire process. In effect, by not using the full potential of the filter, you are decreasing it's capacity, and could just as well accomplish the same amount of filtration with a smaller/lesser model. You could also deflect some of the output through the use of a spraybar, or aim the nozzle at the glass. Again, it's not a problem in my tanks, but something to consider.

Ok guys, since we are on the subject of filters. I have a 125 gallon on order, actually it arrived today but was a drilled tank when I ordered a non-drilled tank; not sure what I'm going to do but will take a look at the tank and go from there (I've waited five weeks already). But to my question. I will be running two Filstar XP3 filters and would like some input on the positioning of the intake and output locations; such as both on each end, out-in-out-in across the tank, both outs in the middle with intakes on the ends, outs on the ends and intakes in the middle, or other suggestions??? Also any opinions on spray bars?

Thanks for any information. Rupret.

Back
Top Bottom