Filters -inner? Outer? Under? Bubblers? Bigger tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's been suggested that I add a second filter to my 20 gallon tank which has a 20 gallon filter (came with aquarium, petsmart brand top fin).

My tap water has chemicals in it that are toxic to fish and results in positive ammonia levels. I do add Prime to the new water I add and let that water sit for a day or longer so it is room temp. Haven't been successful matching to temp with water straight from the tap.

Questions:
Should I stick with one filter that has a more powerful flow than my current filter: Aqueon 50?
Or
Should I use two different filters - the original filter AND another 20 or 30 filter?

Am I better off with an internal, external, or bottom filter?

Should I also add a bubbler?

20gallon tank -
20 gallon filter
10 fish (3 bleeding heart tetras, 3 platys, 1 guppy, 1 Dalmatian Molly, 2 Cory catfish)
1 snail
78 degrees Fahrenheit
Steady 7.4 PH

Thanks.

I would go with an additional filter. HOB type. I recommend an AquaClear 50. Flexible media options (not limited to cartridges), quiet. By running two filters, in case on stops working, you have a backup in place.
I run two AC50s in a 20g long planted tank. Each is rated up to 50 gallons. A bit overkill for sure. The current does not disturb the fish or plants.

I'm a fan of canister filters. They are more money but they have many benefits. Flexible media, less maintenance, lots of flow, clean look in your tank.

I'd toss out the topfin and use an aquaclear hob and an air-driven sponge filter at the other end of the tank. Also add at least 1 more cory cat of the same species, they're social fish.

Your Tank

Hello Nov...

You don't need to add another filter, just change the tank water more often. Mechanical filters just take in toxic water and return it to the tank a little less toxic. A 20 G requires a 50 percent water change every week. With 10 decent sized fish in there, 50 percent twice a week isn't too much.

Aquarium fish adapt very well to public water supplies, so just treat the new water with a chemical like Seachem's "Safe" according to instructions. There's no need to age the tap water.

Your livebearing fish will reproduce quickly in good water conditions, so I would make plans for a larger tank. I keep livebearers too. I started with a 30 G and went to a 60.

B

Hey Noviceafter2yea, Im using a Fluval C3 HOB and i love it. its rated 20-50g depending on your desired flo rate, and it is really flexible as to the media it holds. My 20 gallon tank stays nice and clean. Only thing is when its turned off for water changes i have to help prime it again. But other than that it works great. I like the fact that im overfiltering by more than twice whats needed. Its gotten great reviews. Check it out!!

Hello Nov...

You don't need to add another filter, just change the tank water more often. Mechanical filters just take in toxic water and return it to the tank a little less toxic. A 20 G requires a 50 percent water change every week. With 10 decent sized fish in there, 50 percent twice a week isn't too much.

Aquarium fish adapt very well to public water supplies, so just treat the new water with a chemical like Seachem's "Safe" according to instructions. There's no need to age the tap water.

Your livebearing fish will reproduce quickly in good water conditions, so I would make plans for a larger tank. I keep livebearers too. I started with a 30 G and went to a 60.
B

I hope they don't reproduce! I tried to stick with females. My guppy seems glued to the hip of one of my poor platys, so I think themgippy is a male, but they don't mate.

Because I had to start from scratch after about 2 years or so, I do have a second 20 gallon tank. I have been considering moving to a larger size, but I don't think I can resist the temptation to add more fish and I don't think that would be good for my existing fish.

Female guppies usually come already pregnant, so there's a good chance you'll still have babies. A better way to ensure no babies is to keep all males. Not only are they prettier, you don't run the risk of a female coming in already carrying sperm from a previous mating while at the fish store. They can store it for several months and re-impregnate themselves for a couple of batches of fry...

A second filter is always good. Provides redundancy in case one filter fails or just for times of cleaning etc. It can pick up any remaining ammo or nitrite toxics if your primary filter media cannot grow any more bb because its already laden and you accidentally overfeed and cause an ammonia spike.

With bubblers this is my opinion.

1. Bubblers are mostly for looks. Almost all of them provide no advantage to your water other than disturbing the water surface to assist with CO2 and oxygen exchange. The bubbles themselves don't provide dissolved oxygen into the water.

2. If you are growing live plants, bubblers tend to remove dissolved CO2 faster out of the water column due to the above action. But plants require some dissolved CO2 for their growth and general health. So I tend to leave the bubblers out of my planted tank as I have enough surface disturbance from the filter for oxygenation.

...Only thing is when its turned off for water changes i have to help prime it again...

This will happen with all HOB filters during a water change if the water level drops a at least a few inches during a water change. Scoop up a cup of tank water and pour it into the filter after the water change and you are good to go.

Fluval C3 is a perfect choice

Hey Noviceafter2yea, Im using a Fluval C3 HOB and i love it. its rated 20-50g depending on your desired flo rate, and it is really flexible as to the media it holds. My 20 gallon tank stays nice and clean. Only thing is when its turned off for water changes i have to help prime it again. But other than that it works great. I like the fact that im overfiltering by more than twice whats needed. Its gotten great reviews. Check it out!!
Amen. I have 3 Fluval C's and an AquaClear 50. The Fluval C series wins hands down. You don't even need to shut it off to change the media. Zero mess.

People continue to recommend AquaClears because they were the best when they came out in 1978. They don't polish the water out of the box, have horrible bypass issues (design flaw), and the so called "flexibe" media basket is a mess to service.

The five stage filtration of the C series is far superior to Aquaclears. Both are made by Hagen and the C series is just a few bucks more. The C series has only been out about four years or so and represets the latest technology ....... making it a hybrid Canister / HOB.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aquaclear-bypass-issues-292796.html

See my post #11 here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/what-is-the-best-hob-filter-138948-2.html

Female guppies usually come already pregnant, so there's a good chance you'll still have babies. A better way to ensure no babies is to keep all males. Not only are they prettier, you don't run the risk of a female coming in already carrying sperm from a previous mating while at the fish store. They can store it for several months and re-impregnate themselves for a couple of batches of fry...

That is good to know for the future, but my guppy is a male.

Back
Top Bottom