Filters, poo settling inbetween rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right want some opinions.

I have a extremely slate rock dominated tank, im finding the dirt is accumilating in the cracks at the bottom of substrate inbetween rocks and obviously its almost impossible to gravel vac properly because of the amount and position of the slate.

Its a 52g fluval roma 200litre. I have a fluval U4, an eheim 2213 and a powerhead sponge filter for filtration with the u4 aimed down towards the slate which does give great flow. Never has the dirt caused any form of ammonia/nitrite spike. Obviously ill be moving the rocks every so often to get the dirt but its not possible to do this every week due to the amount of slate and the removal of my dwarf cichlids. My nitrates never get over 30ppm and i preform 30% water changes every second day. Obviously its causing the nitrates to rise quicker than usual but thats ok.

So what do you think, could this be problem? I thought about using another larger filter to keep it suspended but i have a sand substrate and i already find sand in my eheim 2213 even with the intake shortened so anything with more power is going to suck in alot of sand and probably end up ruining the filter.

Im sure keeping up on water changes will be what to do but what do you guys think, wanted to make a thread and get some opinions on this..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1389670510754.jpg
    1389670510754.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Get a turkey baster and use it to squirt water into the cracks. As it floats out, use the vacuum to suck it up. Works great. You can also get a battery vac like this Mr. Cleaner. It works great for quick cleanups.

Get a turkey baster and use it to squirt water into the cracks. As it floats out, use the vacuum to suck it up. Works great. You can also get a battery vac like this Mr. Cleaner. It works great for quick cleanups.

Turkey blaster in combination with that vac looks perfect thanks.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom