Filtration, is there a thing as too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryon001

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My current setup is a 75 gallon planted cichlid tank. I have the Marineland Magnum hot 250 and aqueon 55/75 filters. I am also getting a Fluval 306. I was going to replace the hot 250, now I think I'm going to run all 3 which would give me a rough turnover of 13 times per hour. Is this too much?

Generally speaking, there isn't. The exception to this would be if it created enough current to be overwhelming to the fish. But that would be unlikely especially since you'd want to put either filter on each side of the tank. I personally run two filters on my 75 gallon that give me a total of 1000 gph (13 or so gph). I have mbuna cichlids in that tank. Better to have too much than not enough imo

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea same as daven I have a eheim 2215 an filstar xp l on my 75 an a aquatop sp40 hob for my haps an peacocks

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

Generally speaking, there isn't. The exception to this would be if it created enough current to be overwhelming to the fish. But that would be unlikely especially since you'd want to put either filter on each side of the tank. I personally run two filters on my 75 gallon that give me a total of 1000 gph (13 or so gph). I have mbuna cichlids in that tank. Better to have too much than not enough imo

Basically this.

You technically can't have too much. But if it's like a whirlpool for the fish you could call it "too much". Some people make output mods to combat this.

Caleb

Basically this.

You technically can't have too much. But if it's like a whirlpool for the fish you could call it "too much". Some people make output mods to combat this.

Caleb

You call it too much. I call it a hillstream loach tank ;)

Ironically enough, I myself have been thinking about adding a second filter to the tank (2nd FX6 or 2180). So no, on a superficial level, I don't think there's such a thing, but as others have pointed out that you don't want to blow your fish out of the task force or rip a hole in the space time continuum.

Best of luck with electric bill though!

Keep in mind that a tank will only support soo much bacteria and having more media than needed is wasteful.

Imho, i would add powerheads to supplement flow rather than extra filters.

Keep in mind that a tank will only support soo much bacteria and having more media than needed is wasteful.

Imho, i would add powerheads to supplement flow rather than extra filters.

See now I'm the opposite with the second part. On my sw tank powerheads over filters but for the fw tanks I think filters are better because you can increase the media used. Say you have 2 fluval 306's can use one with 1/3 bio media and 2/3 mechanical, and the other all mechanical. Your water would be alot clearer with the second filter rather than a powerhead.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

See now I'm the opposite with the second part. On my sw tank powerheads over filters but for the fw tanks I think filters are better because you can increase the media used. Say you have 2 fluval 306's can use one with 1/3 bio media and 2/3 mechanical, and the other all mechanical. Your water would be alot clearer with the second filter rather than a powerhead.

My views are the same too. Firstly, i always tend to overdo things on a just incase bases lol Id rather have tons of biomedia and filtration and have it spread out in two filters to stagger maintenance, then have just enough space. I have two aquaclear 110s on my 75 and both are stuffed to the rim with media. I have sponge then filter floss in both, then crushed coral filling the one and biomedia and purigen in the second :p

For flow my tank is actually really calm to the point of im thinking about adding a smaller powerhead to remove some dead spots. The AC110 output is pretty spread out so it doesnt create too much current in the deeper tank

My views are the same too. Firstly, i always tend to overdo things on a just incase bases lol Id rather have tons of biomedia and filtration and have it spread out in two filters to stagger maintenance, then have just enough space. I have two aquaclear 110s on my 75 and both are stuffed to the rim with media. I have sponge then filter floss in both, then crushed coral filling the one and biomedia and purigen in the second :p

For flow my tank is actually really calm to the point of im thinking about adding a smaller powerhead to remove some dead spots. The AC110 output is pretty spread out so it doesnt create too much current in the deeper tank

Not sure what's in your 75 but a small hydor koralia power head (the one below the 425) might be a good option.

Edit: I'm thinking of the Hydor Koralia 240 nano, it should be good for removing dead spots in your tank

Ok thanks for the tip! I haven't had a power head before so I wasn't sure how much flow I'd be after. My pool filter sand likes to get pushed around by current so I don't want it too crazy

Back
Top Bottom