Filtration overkill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairustwo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a Fluval 204 for 20 bucks.
It is like new. Really. Like weirdly clean. So I thought It was a good deal.

I have a 20 gallon tank that seems like it needed a more filtering. I was using an aqua-clear 30. It seemed like it just wasn't cutting it. I move things around and have unwashed flourite for substrate so I am often kicking up clouds whenever I get a new plant for example.

The Fluval 204 is rated for a 40 gallon tank. I figured it must have an adjustment valve to lower the flow rate. It does but when I use it the thing makes a god awful noise. Not loud but annoying.

So my question is this: Is it OK to run this thing at nearly its full flow in a 20 gallon tank?

It generates a current. I don't know how to measure how strong it is but the plants are waving gently and the fish are swimming.

Are the fish going to get stressed out with a constant current?

Are there any other drawbacks to this situation?

Thanks.
pairustwo

It really depends on the species. Some fish such as plecos, prefer a swift current. Others like discus or angels have a difficult time with it. A tank can't be over filtered, but there can be too much current.

never to big more in my book is better cleaner tank more gph is good to stop from getting dead spots. if current is 2 much find a way to knock it down just watch how the fish swim if they look there fighting the current ya got to much if not your in good shape .

I used my 204 on a 20 high for a couple of years before I upgraded the tank, and it did a great job. I never felt like it was too much current for the species that I kept. If you're worried about fish getting sucked into the filter, simply buy an Aquaclear media sponge and cut it accordingly to make a prefilter for the 204 intake. It will cut down on your canister maintenance too!

However, I do agree that we need more info about your tank to make sure you can avoid stressing fish that don't like a lot of current (such as bettas). It would help if you updated your "my info" section, or just list your stock.

I have a 304 running on my 29 gal, and I still have deadspots along the bottom. The current seems to be perfectly acceptable to the barbs, tetras, and corys.

Well, I use an AquaClear 30 on my 10 gallon hex,... a Fluval 204 shouldn't be overkill on a 20.

Don't think it's over. I usually use a over rated filter for me tank. it usually works better.

Some fishes like strong current, some don't. So it will really depends on which variety of fishes you have in the tank.

as they have stated its a current thing, there is a spray bar attachment for the Fluval's though so if you see your fish struggling you may want to pick it up

I use the sam filter w/o the spray bar in my 29 gallon, danino love to swim against my jet

However, I do agree that we need more info about your tank to make sure you can avoid stressing fish that don't like a lot of current (such as bettas). It would help if you updated your "my info" section, or just list your stock.
gottcha.
I have
5 neon tetras
3 African Dwarf Frogs
1 pitbull pleco
1 sail fin pleco (I know, a tank buster but currently only 5 inches)
1 saimese algae eater
2 Albino Corys
1 Guppy and two guppy fry.
unknown quantity of Red Cherry Shrimp

If you're worried about fish getting sucked into the filter, simply buy an Aquaclear media sponge and cut it accordingly to make a prefilter for the 204 intake. It will cut down on your canister maintenance too!
The first thing I did. My very first fish, a neon tetra was sucked up into the Aqua clear, so I learned my lesson early.

I always heard the myth that if you had a strong enough pump or filter you could create a mini whirl pool in your tank, but that would have to be one heck of a mean filter lol

lol, i got the best of over filtering a tank. i have an emperor 280 with a powerhead and ugf on a 10 gallon tank! i think there is no such thing as over filtering.

I use a filter rated for 75g on my 40g breeder. Reason why is I have crap factories in there (you may know them as plecos). Careful output placement is the key to having a larger tank. I aim my spraybar up toward the surface. Creates a nice "down current" at the front glass that then travels along the substrate right where my plecos live. They don't mind the current and it sweeps their poo away.

Just keep a close eye on your fish for signs of stress from too much of a current. I keep my output adjusted to about 1/2 to 3/4 of it's maximum output. I just turn it down a bit at feeding time so the food stays in relatively one place.

Back
Top Bottom