Filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdwhite807

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 40 gallon breeder with a Marineland Penguin 200 Bio Wheel filter. I am wondering if I need to boost my filtration or is it alright? If it isn't, is my next best move to buy a bigger filter? I have also heard of people putting a regular sink sponge in the filter for added filtration, seems logical but I don't want to harm my tank. What about a small canister filter? Any help would be a great help.

I have a 40 gallon breeder with a Marineland Penguin 200 Bio Wheel filter. I am wondering if I need to boost my filtration or is it alright? If it isn't, is my next best move to buy a bigger filter? I have also heard of people putting a regular sink sponge in the filter for added filtration, seems logical but I don't want to harm my tank. What about a small canister filter? Any help would be a great help.
you could def add more filtration, maybe double up with and ac 50 or a small canister, I use cut to fit blue fiber and fluval sponges in my penguin 200! How stocked is the tank?

Right now it only houses 5 fish and probably wont put more than a dozen in it. Do your sponges seem to help? And thanks for the advice.

Right now it only houses 5 fish and probably wont put more than a dozen in it. Do your sponges seem to help? And thanks for the advice.
what kind of fish? Have you tried aqadvisor? They're pretty good about determine adequate filtration, I like sponges for added surface that bb will grow on..

Tank Filtration

Hello jd...

A 40 gallon tank needs a filter with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 160 to maintain sufficient filtration and aeration. Your filter's gph is 200. If you maintain good water conditions by changing half the tank water every week or two, your fish will be fine.

B

Thanks guys for all the help, I stopped by and picked up some fluvall sponges, I'll follow up in a few days with the results.

Back
Top Bottom