filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

checkvalve

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking into making an " L " shape 143 gallon lightly planted, community tank for the corner of our livingroom. ( 5ft. to the left and right from the corner x 1.5ft. x 1.5ft.) Not sure if I'll use acrylic or glass, I still need to research the thickness I would need. (I'm comfortable using both)
Will the " L " shape create problems with water and heat circulation? Here some ideas I toss'n round.

Idea 1
2 Fluval 305's
1 Fluval 405

Idea 2
1 Fluval 305
2 Hagen AquaClear 70's

:D WOW. I love the concept and can't wait to see pics of that tank.

Even if it weren't L shaped you would likely need 2 good sized cannisters for filtration. Using 2 filters becomes even more important because of the shape. It's possible to position the intake and outflows to minimize "dead spots" in the tank. I would avoid HOBs only because the cannisters are quieter and less obtrusive. If you're building a show tank, it's wise to avoid the clutter. :wink:

I agree, the concept sounds awesome! For the heaters, I would place two heaters on the longer size and one on the short side. It would keep the heat distributed evenly. Or if you use only canisters like Brian suggested, you could have inline heaters and avoid them in the tank at all. Since the tank is really a show tank it would avoid clutter.

Count another vote for the inline heaters and all canister filters. Sounds like you are creating quite the show tank, so it would be best to minimize clutter and noise.

sweet design, now ya gotta make one thats completely round ( 8ft diameter) and hollow in the middle like a cheerio lol that wouldbe awesome

Never really though of it as a show tank, just wanted to build that was low enough for me to reach into, being in a wheelchair limits heights one can achieve (pun intended). Yea, canister is the only way to go and placement will be important as well, right?

Yes. If using 2 cannisters, you could place both intakes in the back corner, and have each output on each end of the aquarium, not on the side but on the back wall, thus having a current going from the ends of the tank to the middle back corner. And with most cannisters, you have a choice of using a power jet output or a spraybar output. Your choice.

Sounds like an amazing idea. I'm just curious on how you would get the bottom into the L shape? you can't really butt joint glass.. (I suppose you could if you add a strip over it and silicone it to both sides, assuming the bottom is supported by something very strong like a 2x4 or something.)

If you find a deadspot in the tank you can always add a powerhead.

Structural integrety is very heavily on my mind, I can tell you for sure I'll bump into the stand with my wheelchair. 4x4 and 2x4 covering it in 1/2" ply. I'm leaning towards acrylic construction and an enclosed top with rectangled openings through out.

Acrylic would be better than glass for the shape you want. Or would it be possible to build an acrylic bottom w/glass sides? The only bad thing about acrylic is that it scratches more easily than glass, and costs more.

I've seen many glass L shape tanks and they work well. as with the join like suggested butt the glass in the middle with a 2-3inch strip over the top will be sufficent. anything with that size should be atleast 10mm glass, but only 1.5ft across and high u might get away with maybe 8mm. It's funny but i haven't seen anything larger then a 2 ft in acrylic in australia. If anything large is goin in the tank IMO 10mm minimum! Good luck with the task ahead, would love to see photos when you decide! :)

OOPS, got off the topic. it was fitration you wanted to know about?
My rule of thumb is to filter atleast 3 times and hour, 150 gal would equal to 450gal filtration. if you dont have enough circulation then some powerheads in the end corners will generate the rest. I dont think you can ever have too much filtration, circulation is another matter. Depends on fish.
IDEA 1 would be my choice for minimal noise and maintenence ease.

Thickness is my next study. Want to get thickness needs for glass/Acrylic.
Then stocking ideas. I want it to be a community tank, BUT I also want a "wow" factor to be there too (strange and unusual but compatible).

Thanks for all your input and ideas. I do plan to photo document all of it when it gets started. I know folks get on here and say "oh-oh, I'm gona do this and that and thats the last we hear from them. Not my case, I need this tank. This " hobbie/habbit " has niped me in the bum. Hard.

Back
Top Bottom