Filtration Question: Please Help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimeeBee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently set-up a 40 gallon breeder tank with an AquaClear 70 filter, a 24 inch air wand, an Elite 200W heater, and sand. I cycled the tank for 3 weeks and I currently have 4 cichlid fish in the tank, along with some rock, cichlid caves, and artificial plants. I understand that in order to minimize aggression in the tank, I need to have alot more than 4 cichlids, so I am ready to add several more cichlids to the tank, and I'll be sticking with the Malawi species.

My questions are:
1) After adding so many more fish to the tank, do I need to also add a second filtration system to the tank to ensure that the proper water conditions are maintained, or is the one filter that I currently have enough/adequate ?. I've read and been advised that in order to minimize aggression with cichlids you almost have to overstock the tank so that there are too many fish for any one fish to be picked on. I'm just afraid that with so many fish in one tank, the water conditions will deteriorate quickly.
2) If I increase filtration (over filtrate) would it be better to switch to one filter that simply turns over more water (like the AquaClear 110)...OR....would it be better to just add a second filter to the other end of the tank (like another AquaClear 70) and run two filters in the one tank ?.
3) And will adding a new or second filter change the water conditions adversely since the second filter will be brand new and will not have any biological establishment ?. Will I have to re-cycle after adding a new or second filter ?

Thanks ahead of time for your candid advice ! :thanks:

2) If I increase filtration (over filtrate) would it be better to switch to one filter that simply turns over more water (like the AquaClear 110)...OR....would it be better to just add a second filter to the other end of the tank (like another AquaClear 70) and run two filters in the one tank ?.
3) And will adding a new or second filter change the water conditions adversely since the second filter will be brand new and will not have any biological establishment ?. Will I have to re-cycle after adding a new or second filter ?

Good questions ... I'm not qualified to answer your cichlid questions, but rest assured someone else will respond.

In regards to filtration ... a second filter is a good idea for ... other than providing extra filtration it can

1. It can serve as a backup if one fails ....
2. It can serve as a filter for a hospital or QT tank.

Many members run two filters high output filters. The main thing to look out for is that they don't produce so much current that fish are not used to and get stressed.

Just get the second filter going and let nature do the rest .... bacterial colonies will populate the new filter media ... you really shouldn't have a recycle / mini-cycle. Those happen when you remove filter media / substrate and the BB that populate those materials ... leaving less BB to handle the bioload.

In regards to your cichlids question...I've seen many people ask about keeping African Lake cichlids in 40 breeders and the generic answer is no, because it is too small for them. I am not sure though.

Back
Top Bottom