Filtration questions for my new 100 gallon long.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the-chad

Aquarium Advice Regular
All my life i've been using Hob filters, on multiple tank sizes from 5g to 90g.

I recently acquired a 6ft long 100 g tank. (18"w x 18"h)

This new tank, in the end, will have pfs substrate, lots of plants and driftwood, and be stocked with some rams, a few apistos, tetras and discus.

I am fairly certain that im going to purchase a cannister filter for it.
What I need to know is, what are my best options on a budget? What size cannister (considering tanks long dimensions )? What brands are the best buy, again, on a budget) and what online supplier to buy from?

Any and all related help is greatly appreciated.

All my life i've been using Hob filters, on multiple tank sizes from 5g to 90g.

I recently acquired a 6ft long 100 g tank. (18"w x 18"h)

This new tank, in the end, will have pfs substrate, lots of plants and driftwood, and be stocked with some rams, a few apistos, tetras and discus.

I am fairly certain that im going to purchase a cannister filter for it.

What I need to know is, what are my best options on a budget? What size cannister (considering tanks long dimensions )? What brands are the best buy, again, on a budget) and what online supplier to buy from?

Any and all related help is greatly appreciated.

Well given the length of the tank, just one canister mightn't draw dirt from all over.

I might suggest 2 Fluval 406's or something along those lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 306 and FX6 on my 60G 4ft.

You'd be amazed at the drawing power of the FX6, it just demolishes ANYTHING in the water or on the substrate.

There is only one tiny deadzone in the tank which is a bit irritating, still.. gotta clean something...

So a cannister filter is really that powerful that it draws waste from every corner? What kind of current does that create? And isnt that much draw/current difficult for small fish and fry to handle?

Fx5 fx6 are not as good as some people think as they don't have much bio media it's just one big giant powerful sponge filter and taking into account the fish you want to keep and plants it will blow them all over the place

You would be better off with 2 smaller canisters one at each end

I wouldn't do budget just save the extra cash and buy a good brand name filter as after all the filter is the kidney of your tank and probably the most important bit of kit you will ever buy

I have know idea why people rush to set up a tank and cut costs on filters

Fx5 fx6 are not as good as some people think as they don't have much bio media it's just one big giant powerful sponge filter and taking into account the fish you want to keep and plants it will blow them all over the place

I wouldn't do budget just save the extra cash and buy a good brand name filter as after all the filter is the kidney of your tank and probably the most important bit of kit you will ever buy

So what brand do you recommend?

Good job I keep Africans then eh...

So maybe two canisters rated for up to 75 gallons?

I would get 2 filters both rated for 100g

Then you only clean one at a time spead 2 months apart then it won't upset the balance of the filtration

I think eheim pro pro 2 or pro 3 are the best by a long shot the problem is they are fairly pricey in the US so people don't give them a chance

If the eheim pro3 2080 was the same price as fx5-6 I think more people would own them

so two canisters it is then, one at each end for my 6ft long tank! ;)

what about the Cascade Canisters? they come at a very reasonable price, and have good reviews, anyone here have experience with them?

Buy the filter online to save money but buy one you LFS sell spares for so you can't get parts for it fast

To be fair a lot of LFS do a price match now with online stores

Buy the filter online to save money but buy one you LFS sell spares for so you can't get parts for it fast

To be fair a lot of LFS do a price match now with online stores

I absolutely agree, buying online is the single best decision anyone can make in this hobby, whilst it means you won't be going to your LFS as often, it is much more cost effective.

Back
Top Bottom