filtration system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randy86

Aquarium Advice Activist
So what is the best external filtration system fo my 55 gal tank. Of course I have my regular pump and filter but I am looking for something that will keep it a good bit cleaner! Any suggestions, prices, where to get it?

Start with Amazon:
HOB:
Hagen AquaClear 110

Canister:
Aquatop CF400 UV (or equivalent SunSun HW402 from Ebay)
Fluval 406 - better quality for more money
Odyssea CF500 - less money but mixed reviews - ebay

Thank you buddy huge help. Are these thinga easy to set up?

All filters are easy to setup IME.

You can either keep your current HOB filter and add a canister or another HOB filter.

Or you can get rid of your current HOB filter and add a better canister.

What are you going to do?

Not sure yet what would be the best recomendation?

It depends on how much you can/want to afford.

Canisters take longer to clean and more expensive. HOB filters are very easy and simple to clean, but less expensive.

It's not really about money but more about effectiveness and lingevity. If it is too.g to work good and give .me a long work life then in my book it is worth buying

IMO, you should go with a good canister. Asking which one is best is like asking Ford or Chevy / Nikon or Canon / Yamaha or Honda...... I personally like Fluvals, but those are the ones I've always had and am partial to them.

Awsome I will do that then. So I have have an idea what am I looking to spend and is there a certain size that I need for my 55 gal

randy86 said:
So what is the best external filtration system fo my 55 gal tank. Of course I have my regular pump and filter but I am looking for something that will keep it a good bit cleaner! Any suggestions, prices, where to get it?

Fluval fx5

Before you drop your hard earned cash on a Fluval or Ehiem or Big Brand Name take a look at the SunSuns. They are very good quality, have very high flow and are very good filters. Yeah, they are made in China but, everything is made in China these days.

blert said:
Before you drop your hard earned cash on a Fluval or Ehiem or Big Brand Name take a look at the SunSuns. They are very good quality, have very high flow and are very good filters. Yeah, they are made in China but, everything is made in China these days.

Where can you buy this kind?

SunSun on ebay. search for HW402. IMO you don't need UV. Its the same filter as truaqua.com. Canisters take longer to clean (not more difficult) but you clean less often. Probably not much longer than fully cleaning a HOB by disconnecting & fully cleaning impeller and body, instead of just media. Canisters give you more leeway to use whatever media you want.

Yeah I was just on eBay looking and they are all listed for between $75 and $100 does that sound about right?

Also, TruAqua.com
Rebranded under the name AquaTop but they are SunSuns.

Thanks blert for the help I will check it out

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom