Filtration write up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlstoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone. I was wondering If there is a write up in detail about all the filtration types. I am looking to get a bigger tank in the future and would like to know all about the types. All of the pros and cons of under gravel, hang on the back, canisters, power heads and so on. Also what is recommended for sizes of tanks and everything. If there isn't a write up maybe someone could make one. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

It would take anyone quite some time to describe the pros and cons of most popular filters, but I think in this case Google is your best friend.

Hang around, though, someone will go into detail shortly...

David

I would greatly appreciate a write up. I like hearing the opinion of all the people on here.

Some things to think about when choosing a filter are. What size tank are you looking at? And what do you want to stock? Those will be two key factors in the pros and cons of any filter. Plus are you going have a planted tank? What price point do you want to be in? Where is it going to be located(tank) noise lvl's are different depending on the filter Etc.

Lol see why the write up would be a novel!
There are break downs on the types. Hob, canister, sumps. Etc. But after that it really comes down to what features you want and like in any given filter. For example. I like marineland HOB's because the price vs gph is awesome and they do a really good job. Some people think they are really loud. But if I have the wallet. I would most likely run canisters on all my tanks.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks. That does help. I am thinking of doing a 75 gal cichlid tank. Not sure about plants yet.

Thanks. That does help. I am thinking of doing a 75 gal cichlid tank. Not sure about plants yet.

Cichlid can be very hard on plants. Not to say you can't have them! If you do go the cichlid route I would say look at canister filters. They hold a lot of filter medium. Most have three to four filter medium trays to give you a bunch of filtration versatility.

Maybe I'll just do a rock theme. I really like the tank of the month by Andrew.

Would a 55 gal be a good size for a cichlid tank? I just found a deal on Craigslist for 150. It comes with the tank a heavy duty stand. 2 filters one is a hot marine land 250 gal per hour. Not sure about the other. Comes with hood and lights. Chemicals testing equipment. Heater. What do you think??

^go for it. A HOB filter for that size isn't to expensive if the other filter isn't enough. That's a good deal

For some reason I can't read the article on my iPhone app??!?!?!?!?!?

Maybe I'll just do a rock theme. I really like the tank of the month by Andrew.

Hey thanks :)

For some reason I can't read the article on my iPhone app??!?!?!?!?!?

You can't do it from the app it has to be done on the main site.

Hello everyone. I was wondering If there is a write up in detail about all the filtration types. I am looking to get a bigger tank in the future and would like to know all about the types. All of the pros and cons of under gravel, hang on the back, canisters, power heads and so on. Also what is recommended for sizes of tanks and everything. If there isn't a write up maybe someone could make one. Thank you in advance.

This will probably help more than anything being a cichlid tank

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-mbuna-stocking-dcor-hardware/

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew that article is very helpful. Would you mind explaining your filter set up? I'm pretty noob at this stuff. What do power heads and such do? And where do you buy most of your supplies?

I get most of my stuff from Dr foster and the lfs. A power head is basically just a pump that moves water around.

I didn't see any Rena filters in their magazine. I don't have a good lfs. In desperate need of one though. What kind of substrate did you use in your tank??

I didn't see any Rena filters in their magazine. I don't have a good lfs. In desperate need of one though. What kind of substrate did you use in your tank??

My rena filters I got from the lfs, I'd be shocked if fosters didn't carry them. I have quickrete play sand from home depot, if you use it make sure you clean it real well before outfit.g it in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom