Fin loss/nip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my oleco has sustained some battle wounds from a dispute with a crayfish.

The crawfish problem was solved buuutttt

He has lost small portions of his fins

Are there any precautions i need to take?
Will this heal on its own?

So my oleco has sustained some battle wounds from a dispute with a crayfish.

The crawfish problem was solved buuutttt

He has lost small portions of his fins

Are there any precautions i need to take?
Will this heal on its own?
It should heal depending on how deep or how much of the fin he got cut. Sometimes, even nipped fins won't grow back. Just keep the water clean, imo, it should heal.

Here he is

Attachments

• image-3777453617.jpg
    image-3777453617.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image-1296977085.jpg
    image-1296977085.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3471618395.jpg
    image-3471618395.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 70
If u have a qt tank u can get a bottle of API melafix I use it for my cichlids and halfway through the dosing period there fins are almost totally healed.
It doesn't help really, its more the conditionner. I've had my oscar have his tail cut around that much and it healed really quickly without anything exept the water changes and a good tap water conditionner. Melafix would be to protect against fungus or related things to that as it is a mild antibiotic and shouldn't be used often. Usually used after fin rot and so on.

It doesn't help really, its more the conditionner. I've had my oscar have his tail cut around that much and it healed really quickly without anything exept the water changes and a good tap water conditionner. Melafix would be to protect against fungus or related things to that as it is a mild antibiotic and shouldn't be used often. Usually used after fin rot and so on.

I strongly disagree, but I also agree. Water changes do great to heal wounds by itself, but melafix does help a lot too, it can speed up recovery time and prevent further infection and things like that

I strongly disagree, but I also agree. Water changes do great to heal wounds by itself, but melafix does help a lot too, it can speed up recovery time and prevent further infection and things like that
Well, I checked a lot of articles on melafix, it's pretty much an antibiotic. It might be true to heal the fin a bit quicker, but all I got was that it was a mild antibiotic to help prevent infections(ect...) on damaged fins or to help with any other type of mild case.:)

Well, I checked a lot of articles on melafix, it's pretty much an antibiotic. It might be true to heal the fin a bit quicker, but all I got was that it was a mild antibiotic to help prevent infections(ect...) on damaged fins or to help with any other type of mild case.:)

Haha well then it does its job well. I not trying to argue that water changes can't get the job done by themselves just that melafix does what it claims to do. I know this from experience with the product first hand, not a cure-all, but not useless either

Haha well then it does its job well. I not trying to argue that water changes can't get the job done by themselves just that melafix does what it claims to do. I know this from experience with the product first hand, not a cure-all, but not useless either

Yes it does seem to speed up the process my swallowtail peacock got pretty beat up last week so I qt him and did the melafix as instructed and had 75% re growth within the first 3 days. I wish I'd have taken day to day pics ill have to see what there heal time is like without melafix next time.

Back
Top Bottom