Fin nipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karentcs2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a beautiful 2 1/2 inch (not including tail) calico oranda that I have had for about a week. Today I introduced a small lionhead (about 1 inch) into the tank. I have a 14 gal biocube. I plan on upgrading the size for my growing fancies in a year when I don't have dorm restrictions on aquarium size. The lionhead has been following him to all ends of the tank and attempting to nip his fins. Luckily no bites have been taken out yet. I wanted to see if anyone had some advice or previous experience with this. Is it because the lionhead is young? You would think that he wouldn't try to mess with someone over twice his size... advice?

It might be due to the small tank size or because it is just simply a bad seed. Aggressive fish usually depend on personality. I've never heard of goldfish being aggressive to one another.

He seems to have calmed down a little bit and moved his interest elsewhere... Hopefully this lasts :) Thanks for your response. But yes, goldfish sure do have big personalities, can't wait to get to know these little guys!

Back
Top Bottom