Fin rot treatment with 0.25 NitrIte ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ciijae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, my guppy has fin rot, I gave him a dose of "Interpet Fungus/Finrot" a week ago ( also added aquarium salt as advised my my pet store) . His fin rot is not getting progressively worse as it was a week ago, but his fins still looks VERY thin and frail and everyday I look at him there is a little more damage/thinning with red around the edges. I was planning to give him a second dose tomorrow, I checked my water today and my nitrIte is 0.25, everything else is fine. My tank was set up on 7th June so I believe its still cycling as I had an ammonia spike a week ago and now it seems I'm having a nitrIte spike, does that sound right?:ermm:

Anyway my question is can I give my guppy a 2nd dose of his fin rot treatment while my nitrIte is 0.25?
:confused:

Here is a picture, it looks a lot worse in reality :(
img_2037184_0_56ff70452bddb4cc8d132fbef36123c0.jpg

His fins don't look too bad but he looks quite bloated. Try and keep ammonia and nitrite as close to 0 as you can. Lots of clean water is the best thing for fin rot. If it where me I'd hold off on any medications. Try to fast him for a couple of days then feed him a little cooked, crushed pea to help with the bloating.

Thanks for the quick reply. My ammonia is 0. With regards to the 0.25 nitrIte, how often shall I do water changes to reduce it to 0 and is my tank almost cycled? Also how harmful is 0.25 nitrIte to my guppy?

Here are my other readings:
Temp- 26c
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0.25
Nitrate- 5
PH- 7.6
Oxygen- 5-8

As for the bloating I have been feeding him every other day and a pea once a week. Do you think his belly will go down soon? (Sorry for all the questions)

Thanks.

0.25ppm of nitrite isn't harmful but... since he is suffering from a couple of conditions you'll want to keep it as low as possible. The number of water changes and frequency will depend on your test results. Once nitrite shows up the cycles about half way.
Had he been bloated for long? What does his waste look like? Are his scales sticking out?

He had a bit of a belly when I got him ( 5 weeks ago) but in the past week it has gone bigger. His waste varies, sometimes it is normal but most of the time it looks like a piece of thin thread. His scales don't stick out.

He swims around quite a lot, every now and then he hangs out by the filter at the top, but he does kind of shake his head when he swims.

I feel really sorry for him because he is all alone at the moment, he used to love playing with the other guppies :(

Today I went to the pet store and showed them a picture of him. They gave me King British "Revitaliser Tonic" to add, they said that will help with the bloating.

I'm not familiar with that product but I think it would be a good idea to treat him with an anti parasitic medication. I would be concerned about internal parasites with those symptoms.

oh no, is that really serious? What medication would you recommend?

Thanks

See if you can get your hands in a bird wormer called Avitrol Plus in tablet form. It contains Levamisole and Praziquantel. Both good dewormers IME. You dose one crushed up tablet per 10L of tank water. It's completely fish, invert, plant and bio filter safe.

Back
Top Bottom