finally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I haven't been around for a while, because my tanks were running pretty smooth so I haven't made any adjustments, However, we finally moved to a bigger house and with the extra space I have been able to set up my 55 gallon and transfer everything from my 29g to the 55.

My current setup is planted with dwarf sag, anubias, and crypts. and I have 2 aquaclear 50's running
55 gallon
Sand substrate
Driftwood
Plants:
Cryptocoryne wendtii, Dwarf Sagittaria, Anubias, java fern
Livestock:
2 turquoise ranbowfish
3 false julli cories
2 panda cories
2 otos
2 black kuhli loaches
1 bolivian ram,
1 bristlenose pleco
1-gold apple snails
malaysian trumpet snails

I have two flourescent strips and one marinland LED doublebright. I need to get a second LED light for the other side of the tank and since I am running the two aquaclear HOB filters I want to switch those out and invest in a good canister filter. I am looking into the fluval's.

So now i have a little more space to get a few more things. I am thinking I will increase my school of rainbowfish and add at least 4 more, possibly 3 boesami and 1 more turquoise, at the very least 4 more turquoise. Increase the oto's to a school of 6-8 and increase my school of cory's to 8. I wan't to increase the khuli's to 6 and I also want to get 1 or 2 more bristlenose plecos.

One thing I really really miss is I used to have a rainbow shark (not to be confused with the larger redtailed shark). When I had my 55 gallon up before I had one for two years and he was one of my favorite fish. At that time I had many of the same type of fish I have now with the exception of the bolivian ram and rainbowfish. My only concern is the bolivian ram I have and the rainbowshark may not coexist as well together. however I figure this tank is long enough for them to each set up their own terretories if I provide enough caves/hideouts.

Please I am open to any suggestions or ideas and thanks for reading :flowers:

Hello ashleynicole! Congrats on the move and bigger tank!

I would keep the ottos at around 4-5, 8 ottoas might not have enough algae in a 55 and they are pretty tough to supplement feeding. Those little corys will go for the pellets!

I would also increase your cory school to 6-8:)

For the rainbow shark, its a tough call. If/when it turns out to be a bit territorial, he will pick on most of the fish rather than just the ram. Just my ideas, goodluck!!

I usually feed my oto's cucumbers in addition to spirulina wafers. They love cucumber. But maybe I will stick to around 5-6.

When I had a rainbow shark before the only thing he ever did was chase the angels I had away from his cave. Otherwise he left everything else alone... But I know each fish is an individual so I would have to tread carefully.

Here are a couple of pictures. It's still pretty cloudy from the extra bag of pfs sand I added, and the plants look pretty sparse spread out and my driftwood looks small. I plan on adding one large piece of Malaysian driftwood off center to the left or right, and I want to add some more plant variety that I never got around to in my 29 gallon. Once I get my additional lights of course. It really is going to look awesome in my dining room :)

Quick question though. Is latex paint ok to use to paint the background black? If not, what type of painy should be used?

ForumRunner_20120506_191459.jpg

ForumRunner_20120506_191524.jpg

Back
Top Bottom