Finally! All set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've finally moved into my new apartment an set up my tank. I let it sit for a few days, doing water changes to remove the tinge that leeched out of my rocks. After a day, the sand was settled, and the water cleared up significantly, so I went out and bought some giant danios to cycle the tank.

Well, as soon as I got all three in, one disappeared. After hours of looking everywhere, it seems that the danios are small enough to squeeze into the spaces between the rocks to get to the heater and auto top-off. Oh well.

I've posted pics of the whole thing in my gallery. I hope the plants will be enough to minimze any ammonia/nitrite spikes, and give me a silent cycle. Seems to be working, after 24h, ammonia was < .25 ppm. I'll keep everyone updtead on it as things progress.

-Jeff

Just keep in mind jratuszn, you need a source of ammonia to feed the nitrifying bacteria. No ammonia, no colony. Are there still 2 danios? If not, the plants will certainly absorb some of the nitrogenous waste already in the tank, but once thats gone what little bacteria is in there will most probably starve. Don't be surprised if the tank spikes once you add fish again.

You may want to look into Bio-Spira. Its the correct nitrifying bacteria in a bag; only stuff on the market that has em. Once you are registering no nitrogenous waste, add that right with the fish, and it will be automatically cycled (of course, you'll check levels the first week or so to be sure).

those terristal plants will eat ammonia like candy - I don't think you'll have any problems with spikes

wow your rocks leached a LOT ... are you running some carbon to clear that out?

Great work man - hope to see some more shots when you start stocking! :mrgreen:

I am very interested in this decorating idea, as it provides interest and leaves substantial swimming room as well. I was worried about fish getting stuck back there, though. Good luck and the pictures really show what a great job you did!

Back
Top Bottom