Finally cycled!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

After 23 days, I believe that I am cycled!
My readings are (using the API master kit)
P.H. 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
This is my 37 gallon tank.
So do I need to lower the P.H? And also, are my nitrates ok? I thought they'd bee around 80. Anyways, here's what I'm thinking about my stocking
3 male fancy guppies
3 yoyo loaches
1 pearl gourami
8 rumynose tetras
2 German blue rams
8 harqualin rasboras or 6 cardinal tetras
So think that's good, but if not. Will take the last school out. But my real question is order. What to add and when? Also, here's the tank- and when I go to get the first guys tomorrow, I also am going to pick up tiger lotus, Anubis, java fern, and onion plant

I would think that a pH between 7~8 Is reasonable for those fish(Never over 8). Though try to keep it as close as 7 as possible.
Also, if you had 80 nitrates, your fish would be dead. Try keeping them arround 5-20. Dont go over 40 either.

Thanks. The reason I thought they'd be high is that in cycling I was told that it builds up and use a water change to bring them down. But if not its ok!!
So what do you think of- my stock-
-order if stock_

Its good, just make sure to not over stock it, keep alot of plants, hiding spaces and do weekly 10-20% water changes(Important). If you see your nitrate levels going over 30, do an immediate water change to not risk your fishes health. Try not to disturb the bacteria by dechlorinating the water, and dont clean too much water.

I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks, I plan weakly 25% water changes. Also, tommorrow should I add the 3 guppies and 3 yoyo loaches? Or what?

Yes you can, just make sure to add 3 yoyo loaches, and not one at a time. They need to be 3 minimum, guppies aren't particularly dirty so you shouldn't be having any problems. Give me reports and details:) Also, if you get algae, try replacing a fish by a pleco.

Yeah I'm thing about a bn pleco anyways. However, I've heard that yoyos are a bit sensitive, can I still get em or not?

Yeah I'm thing about a bn pleco anyways. However, I've heard that yoyos are a bit sensitive, can I still get em or not?
They are Very sensitive to water quality. If you're not gonna be paying much attention and doing regular water tests, i suggest you change idea because they're most likely gonna get sick, or die.
Just make sure you take good care of the water, and make sure the water conditions are stable. I would suggest a nitrate level of under 20 if you're getting loaches to not affect them:)

Yeah. I'd rather take this slow, and be safe. I don'thave another qt or ich or hospital tank, although I want one, but I think I'll do the 3 fancy guppies tommorrow, and then Mabye Sundet see how its goin and then Mabye get 3-4 yoyos

Yeah. I'd rather take this slow, and be safe. I don'thave another qt or ich or hospital tank, although I want one, but I think I'll do the 3 fancy guppies tommorrow, and then Mabye Sundet see how its goin and then Mabye get 3-4 yoyos
Make sure not to get more then 6 yoyo's

Yes you can, just make sure to add 3 yoyo loaches, and not one at a time. They need to be 3 minimum, guppies aren't particularly dirty so you shouldn't be having any problems. Give me reports and details:) Also, if you get algae, try replacing a fish by a pleco.

Guppies are actually VERY dirty fish. Add the three first. No loaches. (At first)

BTW, you usually want to add fish like 3 once a week or two. 3 for small ones and 1 for larger ones.

Ok, so I'm going tommorrow. Hopefully the LFS wil have some yellow, green, an blue cobras, and. Can get 1 of each. If none really impress me, I'll probably get 6 harqualin rasbors

Guppies can be clean, or dirty. If you want to give them a good life, feed them twice a day. They're very easy and cheap to care for, and they're life span is okay. So its a good choice. Keep the water at 78 degrees if you want them to be active. The colder, the less active they are. At the begining, i said to keep the pH arround 7-8, for guppies, the recommended pH is of 6.8, so try keeping it as close to 7 as possible.

Rule of thumb is 3 Small fish or 1 large fish while you are stocking. So add three Harlequins. Also, IMO, if you go with Harlequins, then I wouldn't add another school of Rummies.

Thanks all, from what I've heard, it is best to add all of 1 group at a time. Also, I dosed to 4 ppm every time so my biomedia is very strong. So as for guppies, I think if they have some cool colors then I'll be set. Anyways, I'm really likin this plan
3 fancy guppies
8 rumynose tetras
3 yoyos loaches
2 German blue rams
1 pearl gourami
1 bn pleco

Back
Top Bottom