Finally found the *right* filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetsuvvyb

Aquarium Advice Freak
I haven't been particularly satisfied with my Whisper filter, and with the amount of waste in my shamefully overstocked tank, a bio-wheel was looking better and better with the amount of gravel-vacs I do.

But because my acrylic tank came as a kit with a couple inch strip of plastic molded around the perimiter, with spaces cut out specifically for the equipment it was sold with, I'd been having a hard time finding a filter that would fit in there, without having to do some jig-sawing.

But today I stopped at Petco (I know, I know, don't shoot) to pick up some fish chow, and bam, there it is. The Penguin MINI. I have no idea why I didn't come across this thing earlier (I think I'd been looking at the 125)....but I bought it, it fits (it fits!!), and it's happily bio-wheeling away.

Now a coupla questions:
1. Obviously the whisper filter was durn quiet. With the Penguin I've got a lot of splashing water noise....is this normal (should I prepare myself for midnight bathroom trips), or do I need to adjust the water level up?

2. Anybody have an idea on how long it takes to get the bio wheel cultured? I've got a couple more tank renovations planned, but I don't really want to send my tank into a re-cycle (and it's so hard to be patient!)

3. Could I combine my 2 smaller filters on a larger tank, rather than buying yet another (should I ever get my big tank)?

TIA guys!

I have a Penguin170 on my 10g, and the only time it makes splashy noises is when the water level is low (about 2 inches below the top of the tank). The Emperor400 I have on the 55g, and the Eclipse I have on the 25g (all also Marineland biowheel filters) do the same, although the water levels don't drop as quickly.

Figure 2-3 weeks for a biowheel to start getting cultured. You'll know its picking up a decent sized bacterial colony when the grey folded paper part of the wheel starts looking brownish.

And you can absolutely run both! Lots of folks do :)

Thanks Alli!

I spent some time drooling over a 46 bowfront at Petco...time to invest in lotto tickets or something LOL

cool cool cool.. Congrats on finding a bio wheel for your acrylic! I am glad to hear that biowheels aren't super noisy Alli! I was scared there for a second with my Emperor400 in the mail! :)

Naw, the biowheel doesn't make ANY noise (least it shouldn't). I found out, after having a Whisper VERY briefly, the biowheels actually reduce some of the noise as it brings the water closer to the tank surface before it spills out, so theres less splashing. Despite that, I don't use any aeration on my tanks; the water flow coming into the tank from the biowheel filters agitates the surface enough that its unneccessary. I also figure, since the water is agitated thru the filter and thru the wheels, thats also adding to the O2 levels.

Yeah Alli is right. Doesn't she always! :D
Anyway, i just got my 2 Emp 400 today and I absolutely love it so far. It's powerful, quiet, pretty cool looking. It doesn't splash much if you raise the water level and there are big currents on the surface as the water exit the filter so the tank is well agitated. I use it on my 72 gal bowfront with some fancy goldies.

sweetsuvvyb said:
Thanks Alli!

I spent some time drooling over a 46 bowfront at Petco...time to invest in lotto tickets or something LOL

need to check out the 46 gal bow front at wal mart first,

Petco= 46 gal , stand, light & plastic hood = $399.99 (here in Tennessee)

Wal Mart= 46 gal, metal stand, light (36" with refelective), glass top = $188.88 (Again at Wal Mart here in tennessee).

Also, the biowheels tend to be a little noisy until they get their bacterial colonies growing, so in about 10 days or so it will quiet down. At least that has been true for me!

justmy2cents said:
Wal Mart= 46 gal, metal stand, light (36" with refelective), glass top = $188.88 (Again at Wal Mart here in tennessee).

8O

Oh no... that's too cheap!

I'd better stay away from WalMart or I'll be coming home with a new toy... I wouldn't be able to resist that deal. :p

I couldn't either. :roll: finally got my sw tank though :lol:

111503_002.jpg

Waaaaaaaa! I wanna 46g Bowfront.

And the room to put it somewhere LOL

Heh...that would be the other problem...I think if I actually got the durn thing, i'd have to get rid of all my furniture to accomidate it (I live in a studio/efficiency).

I don't think we have WalMarts in Seattle...maybe in some of the outlying suburbs....which might be a good thing lol

Back
Top Bottom