Finally found the small filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MicroFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been looking for a small "stick on the glass" filter for my Betta tank for a couple of months now but no one around here carried them. Tonight while waiting for our movie to start, we checked the fish stuff aisle at Wal Mart and voila! There was the little filter I needed! I'll be setting it up in the morning while I do a gravel sweep...

From looking at this thing, however, I simply do not understand how it's supposed to work. It has a filter and a filter-holder which suctions to the back of the tank... then an air tube goes into the bottom of the holder and connects to a pump which, I assume, sends air INTO the tank........ how, then, does the water get through the filter?? I guess I'll find out in the morning. LOL

Sheila

I think that is a bio filter rather then mechanic filter. but for betta it would be good cause i assume you only kept 1 betta i you tank...

It is a great betta filter. I have used it for my 1 gallon tank in the past. Basically it creates a small current in the area of the filter and this draws water through it where bacteria grow and keep the water clean. It will do a minor amount of mechanical filtration but is mostly biological. The great thing is that it comes with a small valve that allows you to turn down the flow so there isn't too much wtaer disturbance for the betta. Great choice!

My betta used to love and lay on the top of the filter. It was very funny.

Oh yay! I think thats exactly what I've been looking for for a Betta tank I'm going to be setting up soon.

*plans a trip to Wallymart*

They have them at PetsMart too. I bought one for my hospital tank (which I'm also considering turning into a betta tank).

The filter media also contains that zeolite stuff that is supposed to keep ammonia levels down. All I know is it kept my water from getting that yellowish tinge to it.

I looked at PetsMart for months and couldn't find it... and PetCo was, believe it or not, sold out of them last time I went in there. Wal-Mart had a few of them and this was the first time I've seen them there, so they must be hot sellers!

I have been dealing w/ other things today so I haven't got it set up yet, but I'll post a message when I get it set up and let you all know how it's working!

Sheila

Don't forget to soak it in some water prior to puttin git in the tank. The filter will probably release some carbon dust at first, just like a brita water filter.

I just got it installed. Yep, I did soak it first in the old tank water that I removed. I left his airstone in there too, but not connected to anything (just lying there, IOW), since I'm sure it contained some bacteria... took the UGF out and replanted his decorations/plant. I waited a short while for the filter to do its thing before I put the betta back in.... can't tell if he likes it yet but I'm hoping this will help keeo his water cleaner. I will still do weekly partial water changes and gravel sweeps, but I'm hoping the filter will just help to keep things in healthier condition.

Sheila

Hi Microfish,
Glad you found it! I agree with you -- you'll still need to do weekly water changes and gravel sweeps. The filter probably won't suck in a lot of debris, but it will help keep the water clear and provide a place for the good bacteria to grow. It will be a good thing to have in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom