Finally good news!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
So today when I got up, I checked on the fish like I always do, and I couldn't find my mystery snails. Well, the other day Goldie was sliming all over the lid of the tank, so I looked up there, and what did I see? A HUGE nest of eggs!!!! :D I have been waiting for eggs since Christmas, so I was pretty excited! I am not too sure where she stored all these eggs, since she is still pretty little, but there are probably 200-300 eggs there.
Just thought I would share! :)
Oh, and I did find the snails, they were sleeping inside the cave LOL.

I got a pic, and I will post it on here in the AM. I had to go to work, and I can't put pics on this comp. Check this thread in the morning around 630 my time. 3 hours from you I think. :D

That's an impressive clutch of eggs. My mysteries laid 3-4 clutches about half the size of yours. They all hatched, but something in my tank decided it liked the taste of baby mystery snails.

Yes, out of the water, so predators can't get them. :) I can't wait for the babies! The only fish in that tank are babyish guppies.

Yeah, I am glad you asked, because the light in the tank gets kinda hot, so I have decided to not run the tank light until they hatch, (unless feeding the fish), just in case. So, thanks!!! :D

you can just spray some water here and there just to make sure they are damp. you dont want them wet or dry. when i watch to hatch a clutch i put them in a zip lock container with water on top of a sponge. this way then they hatch then can get into the water not get to dry or wet.

Wait a second. You take them off the lid and put them in tupperware on a sponge? How do I get them off without them falling apart? Do you just put a little tank water in the bottom of the tub? How long do they take to hatch? How many of your babies usually make it? Sorry for all the questions....:D
I think the mom might have died after she had them, I am not too sure yet. She usually hangs out near the surface of the water, and now she is down on the bottom, and hasn't moved all day. Which she has done before, but I still worry.

well mine lays when i want them to on the glass. when i need more cluctches i drop the water line and they will lay. they are not very fragile they get stuck on to glass plastic but you can just pop them off with a knife. seems like forever but i think it was 2-3 weeks i havent hatched any on purpose for a while. 100s will hatch but how many will make it to pea size really depends on the feeding. people really in it to breed them will wc a couple times a week add cuttle bones and feed often.

laying the eggs takes a lot out of them. good luck hope all is well.

I have the water level lowered (an inch and a half or so), because I have been wanting them to lay eggs since X-mas, lol. Not sure why she decided the lid was a perfect spot, except if she would have laid them on the glass, they would have been in the water. I change the water in the tank twice a week, mystery snails are dirty creatures. Is there anything else I should be feeding them besides algae wafers and cuttle bone? And they occassionally get fish food because the guppies don't catch it before it gets to the bottom (all being fed right now).
I am suprised she even laid that many eggs! She has not grown at all since I got her (she is about the size of a Fireball candy), whereas Destroyer is already the size of a golfball. He is a hog though. I have tried putting the food right in front of her, and she would not eat, just go the other way.

Back
Top Bottom