Finally got a digital camera, first pic!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Burns

Aquarium Advice FINatic
no warning on this, i have no mercy for dial up users ;)

i finally got a canon a60 and this is the first picture i took, my 13" common pleco! i should apologize for the tank being a mess right now b/c i've been busy building the 85gal. i'm still learning, obviously, so hopefully i'll get some better pictures later on... if anybody is looking for a great digital camera for cheap, the a60 is the way to go. full-auto, full-manual, plus movies with sound!

plec1.jpg

I like that fish. Too kool. The patterns on him are great. Looks like one of those mazes you see on a menu at IHOP :D

HAHAHAHA! I have that exact same plastic driftwood! My pleco, just a tad smaller, is sitting under it right now! :p Love common plecos

ya kno.. ive been trying to take pics like that for like 5 months now and no success. and you on your first pic. get a perfect pic. only thing wrong with it is the glare. which you can remove by turning off the flash or tilting the camra down so the light goes down instead of into the camra.

very nice pics. what camra?

thanks lori.

krap: canon a60. the a60 seemed like the best choice for my family to start with. it had great reviews for full auto pictures so that my mom could use it without a problem, but it also has the ability to go completely manual. what kind of fish are you trying to photograph? i had a heck of a time trying to get some decent pictures of the clown loaches and rasboras..the move out of frame/focus too much. zebra danios are darn near impossible to photograph. if you can adjust your camera, fast shutter speeds are best b/c they reduce motion trail. my friend took this picture of me last thursday at a show, you can see that he had a slow shutter speed because of the motion trails (disregard the do-rag, it was hotter than anything):
56279394.jpg

i couldn't tell you exactly what the speed was for the picture above, but i'm guessing it was around a quarter or half second. the pleco picture was full auto, so i have no clue what the camera set it as. i wouldn't call that a perfect shot, but i do have plenty of camera experience for film, video, and photography. by the time my new tank is set up, i'll start getting some really great shots...i can't wait. even better, after my 85 is set up, i'm going to start a nano reef :) :) :)

ferret: did you get your plastiwood from petsmart?? i really don't know why i got it, real driftwood would have been much better. i love the common plecos too, but i would like to have a larger tank just for him. the other day on the way home from a job interview i stopped by a fish shop that is along the way. they had a pleco in with some large frontosa species...man, i thought my pleco was big. this thing was probably about 16-18" long and had some serious girth to it!

that's a shame you can't change the shutter speeds. it's going to be quite difficult capturing fish unless they are slow movers or standing still (swimming still, actually.)

i'm REALLY bored right now, so i felt like illustrating a couple things for photographing fish. for slow movers, auto everything usually does a good job unless you're going for a specific effect. it's those constantly moving mid and upper level fish we all have that lend the most difficulty. i'm using my group of rasboras as the guinnea pigs (guinnea fish?)

the trick to capturing these fish is a fast shutter speed, like i mentioned before. the only problem is that the faster your shutter speed, the more lighting you'll need to get a nice picture. this is why you can capture images in relatively dark situation with a slow shutter speed. all of these photos were captured in macro mode, wide angle. i love macro! i set the zoom to wide angle because that allows me to clearly capture objects from 2" to 1.5' away, which is perfect for dealing with my aquarium.

in this first image, the shutter speed is manually set to 1/60 sec, aperature set to auto . i'm willing to guess that 1/60 is about as fast as i'll ever need to go for fish. i could have found a happy medium with 1/25 sec or so, but i'm using 1/60 for illustrationi am using a 1x55watt AHS over the 29gal which is plenty bright, but there is alot being blocked by the anacharis and hortwort that i have let grow up to and across the surface. regardless, you can see how the image is crisp, but very dim. in my opinion, this is unusable unless you're going for that effect.
rasb-fast.jpg

in this second image, the lighting remained the same as the same picture, but the shutter speed was slowed down considerably to 1/4 sec. the lighting is improved, but the constant movement of the rasboras creates motion trails that typically undesirable, unless again you're going for that effect.
rasb-slow.jpg

please ignore the aweful flash in this last picture. i used it merely to illustrate how well fast shutter speeds work with ample lighting. everything is clearly visible, crisp, and well colored, with the exception of the rasbora that is in the foreground.
rasb-flash.jpg

i'm almost done with this psuedo-impromptu-tutorial. the best advice i can give you if your camera doesn't give you a lot of manual control is to take LOTS of pictures. you'll increase the chances of getting that "keeper" the more pictures you take....

I have an A60 as well. Having the manual controls is definitely a huge bonus. This is the best pic I have taken so far:

ram.jpg

nice pic grimlock! hehe...you either have a small fish, or huge gravel! is that a ram or a krib?

That is a young Blue Ram, it was about 1 inch at the time of the photo, maybe a bit less. My gravel was huge at the time though. The gravel was good for nothing except trapping food and waste and screwing up my tank. Here is what the Ram looks like now:

redo4.jpg

I can't believe that plec is that big! (Menagerie, looks like he said it was 13 inches). I thought a 6 inch plec I saw one time was big. Man!

-j

Back
Top Bottom