Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
Finally ordered a power compact

Order a PC strip today for my 30gallon today. I'm going from a 20watt bulb to a 65watt bulb.(2/3wpg to over 2wpg, sounds good to me) My biggest fear is algae. What are some suggestions to preventing this problem? So far I know of frequent water changes and careful feeding to increase water quality...Dosing ferts...and CO2 injection. All seem fairly simple...but something tells me I'm getting myself into a world of trouble...

Old 08-29-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's what will change: nitrate and phosphate will get used up faster, as well as traces. Everything's gettin kicked up a notch.

Can you tell me the dimensions of the tank? if its a shallower tank, your light will penetrate more. If its taller, then less light hits the bottom. This mainly affects foreground plant options. Crypts will work great in your setup. Get a variety, pretty easy to find red/bronze, and green for a nice mixture of color.

You'll have to test more frequently (maybe, 3 times a week) for nitrate, and phosphate. Keep those at 15ppm and 1.0ppm respectively. Use the pH/Kh chart to test CO2 levels...those are likely going to drop when light increases...so you may need to add a second DIY bottle, and just use a T connector to run it to the same diffuser.

The change won't be that drastic...not like if you were going to 3wpg of PC lighting. If you do get algae, just identify the cause (which nutrient is out of balance), correct it slowly, and be patient. If you do get algae, its only temporary.

You might wanna pick up bulk ferts from www.gregwatson.com if you don't have sources of potassium. However your tank doesn't look heavily stocked, so you might end up dosing enough KNO3 to cover your potassium needs.
Plantex CSM with extra iron might be worth picking up. Do you have a trace fert now?

Old 08-29-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only ferts I have now are API Leaf Zone. All it has is Chelated Iron and potash. The dimensions on the tank are roughly 30" wide by 14" thick by 17" tall. Those may be incorrect though, as I can't seem to find my tape measure. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how things go.

I'd be so lost without AA...But I'd also Have much more money, you all make me want to spend my money.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I checked the gregwatson site, they have pretty good prices, but I was wondering. Which of those fertilizers is the most important, (i'm on a fairly tight budget, can't buy them all) and how long could I expect a pound of that stuff to last? Surely you have to dilute them, so they could last quite a while. I paid almost $8 for my "Leaf Zone" and petsmart and I doubt that'll last me too long.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm *chuck's calculator*
Old 08-29-2005, 09:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I would get potasium nitrate KNO3, for nitrate (NO3 and some potasium)
http://www.gregwatson.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Nitrate
mono potasium phosphate (for PO4)
http://www.gregwatson.com/proddetail...ssiumPhosphate
and the plantex.. miro-nutrent mix.. (trace)
http://www.gregwatson.com/proddetail...od=CSMPlantex1

Tags
power compact

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com