Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #1

Finally up and running!!

Ok so given I had the past 2 days off in a row I was finally able to get my tank running! Decided to go with just a few big rocks and will add plants in the next few weeks!

I'm intending to do a live fish cycle so when do u guys think it would be smart to add the live fish?

And this is what it looks like as of now water is a little cloudy ATM but I just finished filling it a few hours ago...also is the light I used on my saltwater tank okay to use on the freshwater?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	242084  

Old 07-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #2

Anybody have input?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hope this helps

Here is a good basic article to start off with:

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/the-ni...ryone-358.html

Most new tanks can take any where from 1-2 months to cycle before adding fish. The best advice is to learn about the nitrogen cycle.

Everything you add will affect the cycle..as in plants, 1-2 fish when the tank has cycled. You do not want to add 10 fish right off the bat because that will throw your nitrogen levels wacky.

New tank syndrome can kill fish very quickly if the tank is not properly cycled.

Can't wait to see the finished tank
Old 07-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fisn In Tank Cycling

Hello Y...

Using fish to cycle a tank is fine. You do need to use very hardy fish. This is where many fail. If you like livebearing fish Guppies, Swordtails or Platys will easily survive the nitrogen cycle. Some hardy egglayers are Rasboras, Rosy Barbs, White Clouds and Zebra Danios. I used 3 to 4 small fish for every 10 gallons of water. Once the fish are in, you wait a day or two for oxygen to mix with the ammonia from the fish wastes. Use your water testing kit to test every day for traces ammonia or nitrite. When you have a positive test, remove about one quarter of the water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. You're keeping the fish safe and also growing your good bacteria. Just feed the fish a tiny bit every couple of days.

Test daily and remove the water when needed. When several daily tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled.

I'd add a good floating plant like Hornwort. Just drop in some individual stems. The plant will help use the wastes.

B
Old 07-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #5

I will be using danios but they are going to be a snack item once I add the fish I'm intending to keep.....as bad as it sounds it's worked for me in the past once it's cycled I added my actual fish and they ate when they were ready
Old 07-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #6

So petco had a sale on the black neons so I went with them as a cycling fish this go around......but on a food note been in the tank for around 6-7 hours and all seems well so far

Tags
fin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com