finally went with sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i just bought a 50 pound bag of the pool filter sand for my smallest tank to try it out. i love the look of it and the depth that it creates with all the deep spots and stuff. it was only 7.50 !!! i was just wondering if there is any special care that is needed with sand? it is in my 5 gallon babytank right now and it looks great. what kind of fish would benifit the most from a sand bottom? i was thinking some panda cories would look really good against the white sand. any stories of sand are welcome and opinions are always worth reading

In just purchased 150 lbs of pool filter sand that is brown in color, actually looks a lot like natural beach sand. I really like it. I plan on having cichlids in my 125 gal once it has cycled. With sand remember to stir it up occasionally to eliminate any gas pockets.

I did a 10 gallon sand for fun..it was a pain for me ...I had a couple plants...the sand would get all alge and would have to up root all the plants and move the sand around to keep it from getting gross....hopfully yours goes better Good Luck!

Plants and sand are generally not a good mix. Fake plants are fine. :D Of course.

I prefer sand because the fish waste doesn't sift through sand like it does gravel. All a matter of personal preference though. As stated before, make sure you mix the sand around at each water change to prevent gas pockets from forming. Mix the entire tank all the way to the bottom. You could put some MTS in the tank to do it for you if you wanted.

mts? do you have a pic.i have never seen them at my local pet store but they probably have them at big als. its only a little 5 gallon that i put the sand in but i was planning on doing my 10 and 20 in if if it works out well.

MTS are Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They burrow in the substrate and will mix it around for you. They don't come out too often except for mainly at night. Sometimes they are pests, but as long as you don't overfeed, I've never seen them as pests. In fact, I am going to get more beacuse they are cute. :D Just pop in maybe 4 into the 5 gal, maybe 6 into the 10, and 10 into the 20 gal. Some fish will see them as snacks and eat them. But normally you don't see them at all except for maybe the tip of the shell poking out of the sand. I got mine for free from the lfs. Most places just give them away.

Here's a pic.

Fishyfanatic said:
....As stated before, make sure you mix the sand around at each water change to prevent gas pockets from forming. Mix the entire tank all the way to the bottom. You could put some MTS in the tank to do it for you if you wanted.

What would happen if you didn't break up the gas pockets?

oh there ugly lol i was hoping for a cool lookin snail but oh well. i just bought a golden apple snail for my 10 gal. i am thinkin of gettin a few more

oh there ugly

You don't ever see them though. The burrow probably 99.9% of their life during the day. At night they come out every once in a while. I actually think mine are cute. :)

If you disturb the gas pockets that have formed, it will release the gas, killing your fish. That's why it is very important to stir it.

Sand can develop anerobic pockets. When you pwc you should vacuum the sand to ensure this doesn't occur. The gas that builds up is hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and is noxic. Not to mention smelly. It is cause because anerobic bacteria use sulfur as their 'energy source' rather than oxygen.

my mts usually end up on the top of the sand by the end of the day (the bigger ones) the real small babies are sometimes on the glass after the lights go off. but yeah. mostly under the sand

Back
Top Bottom