Finish stocking my 55gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2brown347

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First I'll give my brief history of the tank.. So I have a 55g tank which currently has 10 cory cats, 2 kuhli loaches and 7 zebra danios. I got the tank used about a month ago and it had tetras, a common pelco, the kuhli loaches and a chinese algae eater. I donated everything to a pet store except the kuhli loaches and bought the danios while it got re-established (I put the kuhlis in my 10 gallon). after a two weeks and no deaths I bought the corys and a week later added the kuhlis back in. The tank is well planted with lots of places to hide.

So on to the stocking of the tank. I want to add something to the tank to give it something extra. My main focus is getting some mid swimmers, but I'm willing to hear thoughts about any level of swimmers. I'm already buying two more kuhli's for my other ones. I'm willing to ditch the danios but don't really want to. So far I've been thinking maybe some glass cats but I'm not 100% set on them. I want something eye catching, but not super difficult to find. I also don't want anything that will mess with my other fish either. I currently have crystal shrimp aswell but once my 10gallon hex is established I'm moving them to that. Also I'm not really wanting anything that gets large. Basically a center piece of the tank.

Some extra information. I'm not new to aquariums, but I've only had cichlids and shrimp up to this point.

I also have a 10 gallon hex tank that I'm going to set up. I'm going to put the some shrimp in it but want some fish in their too. I know the likelyhood of your fish murdering your shrimp varies from fish to fish, but what would do well in a 10g hex and not destroy my shrimp. (I don't really want more shrimp, but I don't want them to be eaten, just let them finish out their lifes.

I haven't really researched anything for the 55g, but I was thinking maybe:
1) 5 Ghost Glass Cat
2) 4 Peacock Gudgeon
3) 1 Badis, something else..
4) Ram/Rams??
...and maybe a couple Chinese hillstream loaches, probably not anytime soon tho..

Thanks for any help

I'm surprised your loaches haven't eaten the shrimp. Danios might be a little aggressive for glass cats, but you'll probably be ok with a lot of plants. The other fish on your list will probably harass the glass cats.

Hillstream loaches are coldwater fish. They don't do really well in a tropical aquarium.

I'm surprised your loaches haven't eaten the shrimp. Danios might be a little aggressive for glass cats, but you'll probably be ok with a lot of plants. The other fish on your list will probably harass the glass cats.

Hillstream loaches are coldwater fish. They don't do really well in a tropical aquarium.

They're just Kuhli's and they get feed enough so they don't bother them. I'm actually surprised the danios haven't got them since they swim up and grab flakes when I feed in the middle of the freenzy.

I'm only really looking to get one of the fish on the list (unless I really have that much more room in my tank which from experience I shouldn't, but then again its my first community) so if I got glass cats I probably wouldn't get anything else. I kind of want guppies or hackets as a top swimmer so I might donate the danios. I'm not sure yet, probably depends on what I get for the "center piece" of the tank.

What I really want to know is if anything on the list will harass the fish I currently have, or be harassed.

In you 10 hex I would say some white clouds or neons, depending on the coloring of the substrate. Either one works good with shrimp.

For your 55, how about some of the "dwarf" rainbows. There's neon rainbows. i was going to suggest the forktails, but they don't get too big and are delicate, they may or may not work with kuhlis.

Back
Top Bottom