Finnex Planted+ 24/7 vs Current Satellite+ Pro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your budget is willing, GLA has a series of quality CO2 setups. Otherwise, Milwaukee or AquaTek if you want to spend less than $100 (I have the latter). That is for the regulator and solenoid. I have a standard regulator with a paintball adaptor and 24 oz paintball tank. I'm averaging 3-4 months before refills (~$5). I chose this because of the convenience of refills.
Solenoid is on a timer. Goes on a couple hours before lights on and off a couple hours before lights out. Fine needle valve adjusts the rate of gas which is measured with a bubble counter. The rough amount of CO2 is measured in the tank with a drop checker; it contains a color indicator. CO2 flows into a fine diffuser/atomizer. I don't use an air stone.

I run aquatek as well. Often on amazon you can get an included diffuser and bubble counter. While not top of the line it works. Add the tank and you could be up and running for about 125.00.

I am researching into them now. I do like GLA. I am the type of person that wants to do it right the first time around and not do it again. I just need to make sure I am well versed in the matter before I introduce CO2 to the tank. I do not want to kill my fish that is for sure.

As an update, I decided and purchased the Current Satellite+ Pro.

Dim that thing big time or you're going to have an algae farm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The risk of co2 to fauna is relatively small imo. Educate yourself and use it responsibly. EOTD is probably the biggest risk but often thats on the user not keeping tabs on system.

Dim that thing big time or you're going to have an algae farm

I have a lot of floating plants that naturally dim the lighting anyways and my current LED bar isn't getting enough light to the bottom. How long do you keep your lights on, or from what time to time? The depth is 18" as well.

Does anyone have a recommendation on the diffuser? I see there are many different types (ladder, bell, glass, ayirstone, etc.) and did not know which was best.

Depending on system, tank size, flow you may need try a few diffusers to find the one that works best. Options are endless. Some produce finer bubbles and clog less than others. Read reviews and give one a shot. There cheap.

I currently use fluval disk.

You can poke around the for sale section here. Personally I would rather buy new unless from a very trusted source.

Lastly, what is the structure of your lighting times? When do you have them come on and off? Mine are currently on from 7:00 AM to 7:15 PM, which is know is too long. That is just when I leave for work, and when I get home. With the Current, I can set it up to turn on after I am gone.

Id start with a 6 hr split photo period. And slowly increase if needed as it seems to be a big increase for the tank.

Hard to know. Youll have to re balance the tank with increase of par and probably the increase of nutrients. And I would be ready for co2

Id start with a 6 hr split photo period. And slowly increase if needed as it seems to be a big increase for the tank.

Hard to know. Youll have to re balance the tank with increase of par and probably the increase of nutrients. And I would be ready for co2

A big increase if the tank is already being lit for 12 hours? I am confused. My tank has been planted for 3 years as well so this really won't be new for the fish or the tank itself.

Yes this is correct. Maybe I am glad I asked because I did not foresee any negative impacts from a better lighting system. Is going to a higher par bad for fish initially?

Also, if my lights are turning on after I leave for the office, is it okay to feed tropical fish in the evening an hour or two before the lights turn off? Or is morning still better?

I don't think you fully understand the power and capability of that light. You really need to put some research into what you're getting into. This light can literally ruin your tank if not properly managed.

Nothing to do with fish. Just plants and the possible imbalance the extra par will create. You may have no issues. I always like to slowly ease into my photoperiod. Especially when plants are used to a certain light. You may have no issues.

I don't think you fully understand the power and capability of that light. You really need to put some research into what you're getting into. This light can literally ruin your tank if not properly managed.

I do appreciate the concern, but I have researched more into these lights than I come across. I never rush into anything I do, as I take the health of my fish very seriously. With the pro plus, I can also dim down the lights if needed to help ease the fish and plants. That was a big plus for me. Due to the plants I currently, have, a higher par is a necessity. With the timer, I can also reduce the photo period, reducing the stress on the fish of how long they are on, and helping keep any algae from emerging. I also plan on doing CO2, like you suggested, but will need to wait until my mini-cycle on the tank is done. Hopefully that will be done soon as I did save a large quantity of the BB when changing the substrate.

If your budget is willing, GLA has a series of quality CO2 setups. Otherwise, Milwaukee or AquaTek if you want to spend less than $100 (I have the latter). That is for the regulator and solenoid. I have a standard regulator with a paintball adaptor and 24 oz paintball tank. I'm averaging 3-4 months before refills (~$5). I chose this because of the convenience of refills.
Solenoid is on a timer. Goes on a couple hours before lights on and off a couple hours before lights out. Fine needle valve adjusts the rate of gas which is measured with a bubble counter. The rough amount of CO2 is measured in the tank with a drop checker; it contains a color indicator. CO2 flows into a fine diffuser/atomizer. I don't use an air stone.

Which GLA do you recommend? I see they have the GRO, PRO, and the PRO-SS. Would I be okay with just the GRO? Or is there a huge difference with the PRO?

Back
Top Bottom