Fire Barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crusis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was at the LFS yesterday, and saw six BRILLIANT ORANGE barbs in a tank. They had it labeled "Fire Barbs", of which I had never heard. I bought the fish, they were $4.99. They varied from 1.5 to 2 inches in length, and appeared fiesty and healthy.

I spent three hours last night attempting to ID them. I searched "Fire Barb" on Google, and got a bunch of sites advocating that Barbara be fired. So I started searching for barbs in general, trying to narrow down the list. In my books, I found Puntius Terio, which is the One-Spot Barb. I thought "This is it!" but when I finally found a color photo (which is impossible to find!) on the net, it was not a flaming orange fish, but a much more subdued greenish/yellowish barb.

I have finally decided that this fish is Puntius Conchonius, the Rosy Barb. Short finned. I always thought the Rosy Barb was more red with a substantial amount of black in the fins. This fish are ORANGE! No black in the fins. But I definity think they are Rosy Barb males. They are BEAUTIFUL! I want to find some females to breed these guys with, and see if I can get some flame orange babies.

I'm amazed that the LFS just made up a name, but feel fortunate to have found the fish and now have them in my tank. I love barbs, they are so hardy! Not to mention they are so playful, fiesty, and charismatic. When they eat, they ATTACK the food, these guys don't mess around.

Anyone else have Barbs this color? My wife is furiously looking for our digital camera setup so we can post some pictures, we just moved in July which means we'll finally be unpacked in May of 2014. Once we get the camera, pix will be coming! Maybe you all can affirm or correct my ID.

Nope, that's not it. This is a barb with the shape of a Tiger Barb, and no stripes at all. I'll post pix this evening.

They're definitely not Tiger Barbs. No stripes, they have the spot where the Rosy and One-Spot barbs have them. The batteries in the digital camera are dead, but I'll get some today and put up some pix. I've been wanting to get some aquarium pix in my gallery anyway, although my planted tank looks like crap since we moved and it hasn't had long to grow in.

The last link you posted has a Rosy Barb in it that looks just like ours, except our fish are irridescent and brighter. I would believe they were the Red Gill Albino Tiger Barb except for the spot, which is actually must bigger than the spot the Rosy Barb has in the picture. Which is why originally I considered Puntius Terio as an option until I saw the color picture.

My wife and I are setting up 10 15G breeding tanks that we just bought off Ebay. Once they are setup, we're going to try to spawn these Barbs. The better half is working hard to learn and develop her fish breeding skills, so it should be interesting. I'll be interested to see if the color of these males transfers to the fry. If not, then I will think these fish have been dyed. If so, I will avoid that LFS in the future.

Hopefully pix tonight!

Finally got the pictures! I've never posted pix on this board before, hopefully I can get them to work.

Pic 1 is a pic of the bad boys up close and personal.

Pic 2 is to give you scale of the barbs. They're on the right, like you can't tell that.

Pic 3 is a picture of males and females. A bit blurry, but you can see the ruddy color of the female.

I'm thinking Rosy Barbs still. Beautiful barbs!

Attachments

• fishpix004a.jpg
    fishpix004a.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 276
  • fishpix_013a.jpg
    fishpix_013a.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 313
  • fishpix021a.jpg
    fishpix021a.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 474
I saw some "albino rosy barbs" at the LFS today and thought of you - I think that is undoubtedly what they are. The "albino" pigmentation gives them an overall orange hue that is quite vivid.

We have Gold barbs in there too. Gold barbs are like Bonobos Chimpanzees in my tank. They've been playing, chasing, and spawning all over the tank! The corys have been eating eggs like free caviar. The golds are easy to distinguish, they have a shorter body top to bottom than the Rosies do. I saw a picture of the albinos somewhere, but they LOOKED much paler than my fishies. I can tell you that my camera doesn't take pictures of my fish worth **** and that I was quite disappointed in the coloration that you all get to see in the photos.

I am sure they are Rosy Barbs too now, however. Shame on the LFS, but I love the fish anyway, and for their size the price was fair I think.

Thank you all for your opinions!

Back
Top Bottom