fire eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The camaro show

Aquarium Advice Activist
so guys i went to get a gold nugget pleco ($60) and i ended up getting a fire eel because ive always liked them ($50) and a pair of red head geophagus ($60) and all is doing well i always add dr tims to the tank before but the fire eel is doing great and eating but yesterday he was hiding in a decoration and and would only poke his head out of it how can i get him out from hidding.

It's a fire eel...that's what eels do. You do know they get massive right? Like almost 3 feet massive. Probably not a good addition to a 90 gallon tank that is already stocked.
And you got the geos everyone recommended against as well...not gonna lie it is incredibly frustrating trying to help people on this forum when they post but then ignore everything said to them.

Minimum tank size for a fire eel is 180 gallons. The red head geophagus is the right tank size if it were a long since they are active swimmers, and not a good fit for what fish you have already. Were these purchases from the same LFS that we decided was ripping you off?

Let me ask you this, are you posting these threads looking for someone to tell you it's okay to do this? I am not trying to bash you all over again, but I think you have the "new fish addiction," where you can't stop wanting new fish due to the joy new fish in your aquarium brings. But you want to get rid of the guilt by having someone on here tell you its okay to do this, like an enabler. I was there too a long time ago, so it happens.

Not to pile on, but I agree with bribo12. We have tried giving advice to you before, and you don't take our advice. You needed to finish out your fish colonies first (cories, and loaches), but you didn't do that. You are also mixing peaceful and semi-agressive fish, which we recommended against. I won't post on this particular thread again so I don't override what anyone else has to say (or start an argument), but I would really consider the fish's happiness in your tank.

They're in the business of selling fish (rather over priced I might add)......and you're definitely buying them, compatible or not.

Why do you even ask for advice first?

I'm like abw, not gonna argue but score.... OK 0 AGAINST 3

post/comment removed

Why is this relevant. Yet again this is a defensive post which will go down a well-worn path. You asked for the advice, you got it, I don't care if you use it or not - that's up to you. However to hope that posters answers will change pre/post you buying fish is disrespecting the experience on this forum.

so guys i went to get a gold nugget pleco ($60) and i ended up getting a fire eel because ive always liked them ($50) and a pair of red head geophagus ($60) and all is doing well i always add dr tims to the tank before but the fire eel is doing great and eating but yesterday he was hiding in a decoration and and would only poke his head out of it how can i get him out from hidding.

Reads as an impulse buy with no consideration of stocking or a stocking plan. How did you justify the buy.

Frankly your threads are an education in patient posting and I'm wondering exactly what you are hoping to get out of this forum. If it's a form of trolling I will just close the thread as soon as an answer is given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fire Eels will eat a small Cory. Maybe not the first few days if it is a smallish Eel, but if it can fit in the Fire Eels mouth it will eat it. As with any other fish in the tank. Fish are food for them.

It is a nice thing to have a group of Cories, but bad if they get eaten.

I will interject one last time, and an effort to help Camaro. I assume you are a car guy right (judging by your profile name, the camaro show)? You are doing what some people do with nice cars. Nicer cars take premium gas, and some people just put in unleaded, because there is no difference, it is just nicer gas right? Wrong. Premium gas engines have a higher compression ratio that requires higher octane. Put in unleaded gas, will you notice a difference if you do it once? Probably not. But over time, yes it will destroy your engine. Like this, will your fish be okay this week? probably, but as those fish grow, there will be fighting, death, and unhappiness of your fish being in tanks too small for them.

Another example, say you want to race your Camaro on the drag strip. But you put a supercharger in it to make it faster. The guy who sold it to you at a high price says it will be fine, thats all you need. Get to the track and race it on the dragstrip. What happens? The rear wheels fall off, brakes burn up, and you crash. Why? Your car guy did not bother telling you you need wider wheels in the back, and bigger brakes (among other things) to handle the extra power the stock car was not intended to do. Your tank is not meant for the fish you have, like the car.

On this forum we want to help, and can only help if you want it. Over time, people will start ignoring you because, "What's the point? He won't listen anyways." Like I said in my first post to you, we do not get compensated for our advice to you. They do (fish store), quite handsomely to boot. The faster you realize they are enabling your addiction for new fish and ruining your good looking tank, the faster you can get on track. Just think about what we all have said to you. If we all are in unison saying you are wrong, then maybe we are right. And we do not know each other either, all from different states (and countries). But we all agree on this topic. I hope this helps. I will be gone for the next week swimming in the Caribbean with other fish, so if you PM me any questions and I do not respond, thats why.

Last edited:
hi guys i will accept your advice on it im am looking at a 220g tank and making my 90 a saltwater tank and its not a form of trolling i do care about my fish i am very good to them making sure my water is A plus quality and feed a good diet. also i have never heard of them eating corys they have very small mouths but i have heard of them eating small tetras like cardinals and neon

Back
Top Bottom