Fire Eel (Mastacembelus erythrotaenia) Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

Been out of the hobby for a couple years, with college stuff and work. Hoping to splurge a bit of my savings to pick up a 100 gallon fish tank. I've looked at a lot of large fish to put in this size tank (Which is a pretty wide range of fish), but none captured my attention more than the Fire Eel.

It's always been my dream to own one of these legends, but I never got around to setting up a large tank for it, nor did I have the funds to do so.

But now I've got a little cash and more patience, so I'm hoping to make this eel the capstone of all the fish I've owned.

Problem is, there's only so many articles you can read and quite a number contradict each other. For example, I've heard you need anything from a 55g to a 200g tank to house a single one of these fish through its life. Feeding has been vague, no one says anything about tankmates. Everyone says to secure the top of the tank, but no one says how.

So, I'm hoping there's one or two people here that have handled a fire eel. If you have ever owned a fire eel for a reasonable amount of time (Preferably 6 months or longer) successfully, please PM me! I just have a series of questions for someone with actual experience with these beauties.

My primary questions include:

1. Tankmates - Can I keep anything besides gigantic cichlids with 'em? I really like the idea of a dinosaur bichir and especially a black ghost knifefish. Just something colorful to keep the tank stocked with diversity. Recommendations?

2. Feeding -
a. What to feed them throughout their lives? I see they like mosquito larvae and live bloodworms while young, are those the best options?

b. Do they absolutely need live food that need a tank to culture their food?

c. Do they need any vegetable supplements due to their omnivorous nature?

d. I hear they take nightcrawlers and small pieces of fish when older. Where would I acquire clean specimens for feeding?

2. Decor

a. I know they need hiding spaces. Driftwood needed? What kinds are non-abrasive? How much would I need, since it’s traditionally so expensive?
b. Would investing in a clear PVC pipe be a good investment? Would he actually use it?

c. Depth of sand substrate? What kind of sand?

3. Security

a. What kind of lid should I get? How do I make it escape-proof?

b. How do I make the filter intake/output areas escape proof?

4. Filtration –

a. What kind of filtration is best? Canister?

I can comment on some of this, however having not actually owned one I can't comment on the super specific things.

Feeding: When they are larger check out silver sides. If need be, you can thaw them out, skewer them, and then make them dance in front of the fishes hidey hole to entice feeding. For smaller fish *shrug*

Decor: I would invest in some PVC and then put some effort into making it look more natural. Glue the substrate around the opening and bury it with the opening facing the front of the tank. You can go crazy with it and make a few different exits that all attach to each other.

Substrate: I would say at least 1" deep. more if you make the pvc hidey holes.

Security: The most secure method for species such as this imho would be to drill the tank and use strainers or covers over the overflow or intake. Then you are free to get some heavy plexi glass lids without having to worry about holes.

Filtration: If you're going to drill the tank then a trickle filter is the way to go.

If not drilled, then heavy plexi glass with holes drilled into it to accomodate the intake and return for a canister. There will be oxygenation issues with this so an air stone might not be a bad idea.

Hey everyone,

Been out of the hobby for a couple years, with college stuff and work. Hoping to splurge a bit of my savings to pick up a 100 gallon fish tank. I've looked at a lot of large fish to put in this size tank (Which is a pretty wide range of fish), but none captured my attention more than the Fire Eel.

It's always been my dream to own one of these legends, but I never got around to setting up a large tank for it, nor did I have the funds to do so.

But now I've got a little cash and more patience, so I'm hoping to make this eel the capstone of all the fish I've owned.

Problem is, there's only so many articles you can read and quite a number contradict each other. For example, I've heard you need anything from a 55g to a 200g tank to house a single one of these fish through its life. Feeding has been vague, no one says anything about tankmates. Everyone says to secure the top of the tank, but no one says how.

So, I'm hoping there's one or two people here that have handled a fire eel. If you have ever owned a fire eel for a reasonable amount of time (Preferably 6 months or longer) successfully, please PM me! I just have a series of questions for someone with actual experience with these beauties.

My primary questions include:

1. Tankmates - Can I keep anything besides gigantic cichlids with 'em? I really like the idea of a dinosaur bichir and especially a black ghost knifefish. Just something colorful to keep the tank stocked with diversity. Recommendations?

2. Feeding -
a. What to feed them throughout their lives? I see they like mosquito larvae and live bloodworms while young, are those the best options?

b. Do they absolutely need live food that need a tank to culture their food?

c. Do they need any vegetable supplements due to their omnivorous nature?

d. I hear they take nightcrawlers and small pieces of fish when older. Where would I acquire clean specimens for feeding?

2. Decor

a. I know they need hiding spaces. Driftwood needed? What kinds are non-abrasive? How much would I need, since it’s traditionally so expensive?
b. Would investing in a clear PVC pipe be a good investment? Would he actually use it?

c. Depth of sand substrate? What kind of sand?

3. Security

a. What kind of lid should I get? How do I make it escape-proof?

b. How do I make the filter intake/output areas escape proof?

4. Filtration –

a. What kind of filtration is best? Canister?

When you say Dinosaur Bichir I assume you mean Polypterus senegalus or the Senegal Bichir. I've had one for about seven months now and they're so fun. I actually hand feed mine. I think paired with a fire eel it COULD work if there's a lot of hiding places and you get them at roughly the same size.

Hi all,

I know this is an old post but I need some help.

I have a fire eel and I have noticed some white parts of skin on it underbelly. It's not White Spot/Ich. It's not harming it as far as I know and it feeding fine.
I just wanted to know if anyone has seen this before or can help to put my mode at rest.

Reading all the post to ask the question, if can help it would be good and put my mind at rest.

I have added a few pictures for you to see.

Thanks guys!!!![emoji225]

View attachment 293980View attachment 293981View attachment 293982View attachment 293983View attachment 293984

Hi all,

I know this is an old post but I need some help.

I have a fire eel and I have noticed some white parts of skin on it underbelly. It's not White Spot/Ich. It's not harming it as far as I know and it feeding fine.
I just wanted to know if anyone has seen this before or can help to put my mode at rest.

Reading all the post to ask the question, if can help it would be good and put my mind at rest.

I have added a few pictures for you to see.

Thanks guys!!!! [emoji225]

IMG_3350.JPGIMG_3351.jpgIMG_3352.jpgIMG_3353.jpgIMG_3354.jpg

Back
Top Bottom