Fire Eel with gill disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. FishMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I posted this in the unhealthy fish section but havent gotten any help so I thought I'd post it here..

Here we go.. I have a 20 something inch fire eel in a 130 gallon tank. I've had him for almost a year and he's always been happy and healthy. He was always very active, even with the lights on, and would let me hand feed him. Less than a month ago I lossed an Angelfish due to a bacterial infection and I didn't not treat the tank as I was too late to save the fish and I figured a large water change would suffice. This was a mistake. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a huge decrease in activity from the fire eel and he wouldn't come out of his log. I plopped some of his favorite food in the tank (some frozen bloodworms) and he didn't go for them or seem interested in them at all. A few days went by and I hadn't seen him come out of his log or eat at all and I noticed his gills were flaring and he looked like he was gasping and twitching. Thats when I put the pieces together and realized he was acting very similar to the Angelfish I had lost not too long ago. I immediately went online and looked up symptoms for bacterial infection in an eel and I came to the conclusion that he was definitely infected. I remember being suggested to use Marycin 2 to treat the Angelfish by a member on this forum so I went and picked up a good supply for my fire eel. After one 5 day treatment there were no signs of improvement so, as suggested on the box, I started another treatment and I also read online I could add aquarium salt to help with gill function. Last night was the last day of the second 5 day treatment and still, there are little signs of improvement. Which is.that he has come out of his log but only to for a short period (He swims over to the other side of the tank where there is another log and then he'll stay in there for a while). He still hasn't eaten anything and his gills are still flaring.. I've tried giving him shrimp and krill to no effect so I got some live shrimp and worms and he stilll doesnt seem interested. Im really discouraged and I dont wanna lose my buddy. Is there anything else I can do?

I'm certain he has gill disease.. Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what medications I should use to further treat him? I really would like to try to save this guy before I have to start considering euthanasia..

I'm sorry about your eel and it sounds like you're doing everything that you can to save him... All that I can say is continue to dose medication until he gets better. Sometimes random sicknesses claim our fishes lives for no apparent reason, just hope for the best and keep the tank clean and continue with medicine. Good luck!:)

Thanks for your concern.. I just ordered some Formalin-Ms and Metro-Ms from fishvet.com. Should be here tomorrow.. I hope he makes it till then. Hes now bent in a C shape floating on his side.. I hate seeing him like this..

Poor guy doesn't want to give up, but there aren't any signs of improvement.. I've tried 3 different medications and I've been treating the tank for over a month now.. I don't know if I should continue or what.. He is still very inactive and I havent seen him eat since this all started.. His gills are still swollen and flaring and he looks like he's gasping for air.. Im starting to consider euthanasia because I do not feel that he is getting any better and I don't want him to suffer even more and starve.. BUT, what if he could've gotten better? Then I would have potentially murdered my fish, and I'd feel even worse..

I've read the sticky in the unhealthy fish section about euthanasia and I've done a lot of my own research, but I can't keep myself from believing that I haven't done everything I could.. Can anyone help me make the right decision?

I'm so sorry. I just want to say if you decide to euthanize it's not a bad thing. Is he still floating? You tried your best! If you decide to euthanize please don't feel guilty.

Thank you for your sympathy.. Yes, he is still floating on his side, half way out of his log.. He looks miserable.. Gasping and gills flaring. I tried feeding him a small chunk of frozen bloodworms yesterday, which he went for almost immediately, but he looked weak and the food fell out of his mouth and was then eaten by other fish.. I'm really at a loss here and don't know what to do.. I feel really bad for trying to keep him alive, knowing he could be suffering, but I feel there's still more that can be done! Im gonna pick up some more live/frozen foods today to try to get him to eat before I make the final decision.. I guess we'll see what happens..

Back
Top Bottom