Firemouth cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I've read and heard they can be incredibly difficult to sex, but I think if they puff up and flare a lot like a male betta then it's more likely a male but idk for sure. But I'm pretty sure I have a male and he does this. :)

The bottom fin on the females is usually more rounded than the males. The males will also have a hump-ish forehead compared to the smooth slope of the female. Sometimes the female will have dark bands running vertically on her mid-section. Rarely is the dorsal fin a good indicator, but sometimes the females will have more of a swooping, rounded point than the males.

Keep in mind if they are young it is hard to sex them, usually a year old and up is easier. If you're getting them in a store, chances are they are about 6 months old.

Right well yeah I just bought in lfs so I guess I'll have to wait and find out before setting up a breeding tank for them lll

Ah yeah, then they're probably about 6 months old. Give them another few months and they might pair off, then you'll know if you have pairs or not. They can sex themselves long before us mere humans can ;)

How big is the tank and how many did you get?

I breed the little devils so I always love discussions about them

DragonFish71 said:
Ah yeah, then they're probably about 6 months old. Give them another few months and they might pair off, then you'll know if you have pairs or not. They can sex themselves long before us mere humans can ;)

How big is the tank and how many did you get?

I breed the little devils so I always love discussions about them

Since you do breed them on another thread some people had talked about how aggressive they are!! Besides spawning do you see them being really aggressive and killing other fish? I did a lot of research on them before getting mine and the reason I got them was because there supposed to be more peaceful. I've not seen any aggression in mine so far towards any of my other fish except they run a convict out of their cave when he tries to go in it but they don't fight him or anything! Can you tell me your experience with them?? :)

I totally don't mind the thread being hijacked always good to let a discussion just run to never know what you will learn I have a 22 g tank with 2 in at the mo but I plan to get more they are just in with some
Mollies and other peaceful
Community fish now doing fine with them but it will eventually b a purely chilid tank :) to go with my Malawi tank and my (soon to be delivered new community tank lol

Oh really :s how big a tank u think I need then I'll have to save up for it i think I get my new community tank today or tomoz so what I'll do is take out all the community fish place them in there then have only the fire mouths in there till I have a bigger tank for the pair will that work ? I mean if it's a m and f only and they pair and they ate only things on tank so it's all thier territory will that work for like a week or two till I got cash for yet another tank lol

Andjak said:
Oh really :s how big a tank u think I need then I'll have to save up for it i think I get my new community tank today or tomoz so what I'll do is take out all the community fish place them in there then have only the fire mouths in there till I have a bigger tank for the pair will that work ? I mean if it's a m and f only and they pair and they ate only things on tank so it's all thier territory will that work for like a week or two till I got cash for yet another tank lol

It will work temp. Since they are still small but I think minimum for a pair would be about 30-40 gal tank. The person you should ask is Dragonfish she gave me a lot of advice, she breeds them, just pm her! :)

Back
Top Bottom