Firemouth help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gejegeb69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently bought I young Firemouth who is around 2 inches, it seems quite shy and stays in around its cave which I expect as its new, is has just started to dig a pit in the sand in its cave and whenever a BA tetra swims into the cave the Firemouth will chase it back out the entrance, I am wondering if this is normal behavior and could it be it is building a nest? There is currently just the one Firemouth in the tank and I am under the impression it’s a Male as it has pointed dorsal and anal fins, thanks.

It is nest building behavior. You should get another firemouth or more - they will raise young and the behavior is fascinating. Also, fish are much happier with others of their own.

My LFS has said they’ll be getting some more in so I’ll be gettin another soon thanks.

Any chance I could breed firemouths in the 40 gallon, I’ve heard that it’s best to buy multiple and let them pair off but a 40 gallon breeder won’t be big enough for me to get multiple.

6 at once? How many of them bred? What size were they? Thankyou

Did they all breed together in the tank or did you have to separate them?

Also how long did they stay in the tank from when you bought them or have you still got them in a 40 breeder

Back
Top Bottom