Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

firemouths or jewel cichlids

Should I get a pair of jewel cichlid or firemouth? For my 40gallon breeder. I wwould like the red jewel cichlid but don't know what they are called

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Do you want to go with a central american themed tank or an african themed tank... or do you care? Which one do you like best?

Here are some profiles on various fish often referred to as jewel cichlids... just look here at the Hemichromis

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Do you want to go with a central american themed tank or an african themed tank... or do you care? Which one do you like best?

Here are some profiles on various fish often referred to as jewel cichlids... just look here at the Hemichromis
I don't care because the tank is just pfs and rocks and I only want a pair of cichlid in it. I like firemouth a lot but feel the red jewel cichlid are more colorful anyone know the name of them?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Is it not listed in the link I provided? I googled it and it seems that Hemichromis lifalili and Hemichromis bimaculatus are commonly referred to as 'red jewel cichlids'.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Is it not listed in the link I provided? I googled it and it seems that Hemichromis lifalili and Hemichromis bimaculatus are commonly referred to as 'red jewel cichlids'.
I just didn't see that part till after i posted. I think I'mgoing to go with firemouths.

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, firemouth, firemouths, ich, jewel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com