First api freshwater test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moobs99

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so 2 weeks ago I had a few fish die on me Andrew rest had bright red gills, I posted in the unhealthy fish part of this site and people said I could have an ammonia poisoning in my tank and that I should test my water! But I could not has was broke until the 15th.. My friend gave me some prine seahem to add to my tank as he said that would clear most of it up! So went and brought the api master freshwater test kit yesterday and have just done my first test, but I would like a little help to understand it all please

These are my results
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40

Are they good ?

I also have a ph test solution and a high range ph test solution, but I don't no which one to use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Your ammonia should be 0
You should have 0 nitrates and nitrates as well, live plants will use these naturally.

I would try them both and you will have a better idea of where you are at.

That is my two cents
Hope it helps, I put the ammonia reducer from aqua clear in my filter last week when my ammonia was .25 and did pwc and it is at zero again. Water changes will help both of your levels, I aim for 1/4 once a week unless I get readings other than zero

I have plants in there aswell, should I do a water change now then ?

It looks good to me

Ammonia is usually ok at .25 but if it goes over than do water changes immediately. 0 is best

NitrItes should be at 0

NitrATes should be under 40 but as close to 0 as you can get it.

A cycled tank should have some nitrATes in it. Plants will help keep it lower and so will 2x 25% weekly water changes

Ok cool ill do a 25% one tonight and the next on Sunday,

Back
Top Bottom