First Ever Betta :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoOo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I always feel so bad going to petco and having to hurry by the betta cups because looking at them makes me sad. Yesterday, however, it was unavoidable. I purchased some black aquarium sand and some live plants and went to find my dad so we could leave. He was looking at the bettas. As usual, they all look pretty depressed and still within their tiny little cups, all except for one. He was feisty and swimming circles in his cup, he may not have been the prettiest betta they had, but there was just something about him. He just stared at me while I was feeling sorry for him and seemed to say 'Don't pitty me, lady. I'm going home with you.'

So very persuasive....

Drove 2 hours home and set his tank up right away with the new sand, the plants and some decor from the 55, and set up one of the 10g filters we've had running on the big tank. Acclimate him for about an hour if not longer and set him free into his new home...never seen a betta swim so much!! He uses every inch of the 10gal and is so so beautiful!

I'm going to try and get some pictures with my dad's nice camera, but for now here is some iPod pics. He's a blue/teal half-moon with a soft pink touch on his backs fins, and a black underbelly/jaw with deep red feeler fin thingies. Im hoping his damaged fin will heal well with the new digs and clean water. I'd like to see if he'd accept snails in his territory as some tankmates but something tells me he's an aggressive little punk.

He hasn't got a name yet, I've been calling him Dagger but not sure if it'll stick. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image-1260751854.jpg
    image-1260751854.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 200
  • image-2018632319.jpg
    image-2018632319.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 200
  • image-1921909711.jpg
    image-1921909711.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 206
Ooh pretty Betta! Good job with the rescue and giving him a proper environment! :D

The same thing happened to me with mine...I went to like 3 LFS and picked up every betta cup they had and then...I found him....he stared at me, flared, shook his tail and blew me a bubble. He came home with me and is happy as a lark in his 10 gal. I like Dagger, that's a cute name. :)

Thank you!! It was fate! I had my heart set on a crowntail and wasn't even planning to stock my 10g with anything yet, but I could never forgive myself if I passed up on that grumpy little face. Luckily I had everything to set up the tank in less than an hour as well as a mature bb loaded filter. I really like Dagger too, I just hope he doesn't wimp out all of a sudden and not live up to his name, but I don't think that will happen. He's full of aggression and energy.

Laser said:
That's a very nice looking betta.

Thank you! I thought he was particularly beautiful with nice full fins and a gorgeous color and feisty personality. They had purple ones that caught my eye but they were not as healthy looking or active as this guy. Love your beautiful betta! The black/blue is one of my favorite colorations. I'm thankful Dagger has a nice dark underbelly and a slightly black speckled face.

Oh wow! He's stunning! You have a beautiful betta, and the name Dagger seems to be a good match! The story of how you picked him out had me laughing! I have a feeling he'll be one spoiled betta;). Up load more pictures as you take them, because I'd love to see more of him!

Thank you all for the compliments! I have taken hundreds of pictures already and none do him complete justice. I love that he's not shy either, so many more pictures to come! Dagger is so fitting, I did good haha. He'll be spoiled rotten hehehe I already have my Christmas list started and it's all aquarium stuff lol

Nice betta. Wish i could have one like that. Just got a 10 g so can't buy a 2 gallon or so and heater.

I'm obsessed! I love the pic of him peeking out behind the plant. My dad's cannon is low on batteries so I still haven't had the opportunity to try and take better pics. <3

Attachments

• image-1453577382.jpg
    image-1453577382.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 120
  • image-3226196039.jpg
    image-3226196039.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2553765942.jpg
    image-2553765942.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 114
  • image-1699183869.jpg
    image-1699183869.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 122
  • image-4072468854.jpg
    image-4072468854.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 123
I'm obsessed! I love the pic of him peeking out behind the plant. My dad's cannon is low on batteries so I still haven't had the opportunity to try and take better pics. <3

Those pics still look pretty good. Speaking of pics... nice avatar pic. :lol:

Laser said:
Those pics still look pretty good. Speaking of pics... nice avatar pic. :lol:

Hehehe that's my best fish face lolol :3

When I turned on the light this morning Dagger must not have been very happy about waking up cause he was huffy and flaring for a bit. Man, there is no mistaking a flared betta now that i've seen it first hand. I can't wait for his fins to heal up!

Attachments

• image-3047781935.jpg
    image-3047781935.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 100
Are you sure there's something wrong with his fins? I can't tell from the pictures.

It's a small rip on the top of his tail fin. He's just so stunning you really don't notice it haha.

You're right, I didn't notice it. I can't show my bettas your pictures because they might get jealous.

Back
Top Bottom