First Fish Horror Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldengirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About two weeks ago, I finally got to put fish into my 50 gallon tank! I was so excited. I had been saving my paychecks for a long time to afford the tank ( I'm only 16... paychecks are minimal at 8.50 and hour) I put some beautiful angel fish in the tank along with a few gorgous quite expensive guppies and an albino cory. (I decided to spend a little more for some great fancy guppies because I planned to have the tank long term) Any ways, after spending about 500 (plus change) on the tank, filter, plants, fish...ect, I had a bit of a problem.

One week after I had finished introducing fish and adding decorations, I came home to a huge puddle on the kitchen floor, apparent that the leak was comming from upstairs, I ran upstairs to my bedroom to find 50 gallons of water and all the fish on the floor. I managed to save Trevor (My one finned albino cory) but he was the sole survivor...

The tank had come apart at the side, which in turn split the whole frount pannel off the tank. So aside from loosing my BE-LOVED tank and my fish... We have a very very very large amount of water damage to my bedroom and the kitchen...

That is my first, and pretty nasty fish horror story.
B.

Oh, goldengirl, I am speechless.. 8O

That is truly horrible, from the loss of the fish, all of the money down the drain, and damage to your home that (I'm sure) will mean you might not be allowed to set up a tank again. Dreadful.

Was this a new tank that failed so miserably? What kind of stand was it on?

I would contact the manufacturer if it were a new tank. Do you know which brand? I can tell you from experience that Perfecto has an excellent customer service policy, and all aquariums come with minimum 5 year gaurantee. :wink:

The same thing happened to me many years ago goldengirl. I feel your pain.

I agree with BrianNY and Tankgirl, go after the person or store you bought the tank from. This is a very unusual circumstance and not something someone has to go through.
All the best and please let us know how it turns out.
Is the damage to the house covered by insurance with a not so terrible deductibe
Jeff

goldengirl said:
About two weeks ago, I finally got to put fish into my 50 gallon tank! I was so excited. I had been saving my paychecks for a long time to afford the tank ( I'm only 16... paychecks are minimal at 8.50 and hour) I put some beautiful angel fish in the tank along with a few gorgous quite expensive guppies and an albino cory. (I decided to spend a little more for some great fancy guppies because I planned to have the tank long term) Any ways, after spending about 500 (plus change) on the tank, filter, plants, fish...ect, I had a bit of a problem.

One week after I had finished introducing fish and adding decorations, I came home to a huge puddle on the kitchen floor, apparent that the leak was comming from upstairs, I ran upstairs to my bedroom to find 50 gallons of water and all the fish on the floor. I managed to save Trevor (My one finned albino cory) but he was the sole survivor...

The tank had come apart at the side, which in turn split the whole frount pannel off the tank. So aside from loosing my BE-LOVED tank and my fish... We have a very very very large amount of water damage to my bedroom and the kitchen...

That is my first, and pretty nasty fish horror story.
B.

Where'd you buy the tank? It wasn't king ed pets was it?

Cafe Jeff said:
I agree with BrianNY and Tankgirl, go after the person or store you bought the tank from. This is a very unusual circumstance and not something someone has to go through.
All the best and please let us know how it turns out.
Is the damage to the house covered by insurance with a not so terrible deductibe
Jeff

If it's the place I think it is, the tanks sit outside in a barn all year round (they're bought in large quantities). water rests from all the moisture here we get from the rain, freezes during the winter and the silicon splits or the tank actually cracks.

I see this place throwing out tanks all the time, I've actually taken a couple for other animals and fixed them up.

Truly a nightmare. Hoprefully things will work out and you'll be able to get another tank. How long did you have the tank set up before it leaked?

Back
Top Bottom