First fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Test results(13 hours after dosing ammonia). Ammonia-0. Trite-.5. Trate-80.

Test results (24 hours after dosing ammonia). Ammonia-0. Trite-0. Trate-80. Please let me know if I'm progressing in these few days!

Ok. Sounds good. I will keep posting results. Does it look promising?

I would say if your amm/nitrite continue to zero out steadily from 4ppm ammonia, you are close to getting fish! Have you thought about what you are going to stock this tank with?

About 4 dwarf puffers and maybe some otocinclus( idk if spelling is correct). I've heard they are compatible. I'm soooo excited!

Ammonia-0 trites-0 trates-80-160(couldn't tell but it was a deep red. Maybe closer to 160).

Ammonia-0. Trite-0. Trates 80-160. Still can't determine which it is. It's probably closer to 80 though.

I would say you should be good for fish this weekend! On the day your getting fish, skip the ammonia, do a 100% water change with temperature matched water so you dont shock your bacteria & dont forget the water conditioner dosed to your tank size. You want to get your nitrates as low as possible before fish (it may take more than one water change). If you are not familiar with 'drip acclimation', check out u-tube for 'how-to' videos on the process. :)

Ok. Sounds good. Could I do one water change Friday night. Then check Saturday morning and if levels are fine get fish if not do another water change? This is so exciting!

Yes, fri night is fine (just skip the amm) & its always a good idea to double check your water before you go shopping for fish! Cant wait to see pics! :)

Yay. I wanna jump up and down and scream! This is like Christmas morning. Lol. I think im a little too excited. Oh well

All levels remain the same. Tested my
Oh and it's the highest in the high range ph test. Hope that's not bad. Also I decided not to go with the puffers instead I want to schools of small fish and a center piece like a dwarf gourami. I know I should add the smaller fish first but how many could I add. Let's say my schooling size is 6-7. Could I add the whole school?

I would say a school of small fish to start should be ok with your tank cycled to 4ppm ammonia. Just monitor your water for the next wk or so to make sure things stay stable & anytime in the future you add a new fish.

Ok. I think I'm going with cherry barbs, neon tetras and a dwarf gourami. Hopefully I won't change my mind again. Lol. Thanks for all of your help!

Ok. I'm ready for fish. Would I be safe to do a water change now. And if all the levels look right add fish later tonight?

Yes, you should be fine! Just make sure you use temp-matched, conditioned water & skip the ammonia. You want to get your nitrates as low as possible before adding fish. Congrats!!! :)

Ok. Just completed the pwc. I will test in a little bit. This is super exciting. O ya. How many fish can I start with?

Back
Top Bottom