First German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all I am new here but not new to fish keeping some of you may recognize my user name from other forums. I have been keeping fish for about 25 or so years. The past few years have been mostly Puffers and Frontosa.

I am now starting a 75 gallon community tank. The stock list is as follows

1 x Opaline Gourami 4"
1 x Male Sailfin Molly
2 x Female Yellow Molly ( Already breading with the Sailfin)
1 x Common Pleco 6"
2 x German Blue Rams
3 x bumble bee gobies

I am thinking of adding a school of cherry barbs and a school of Cardinal Tetras or rummy nose Tetras

I wanted to add a pair of Kribensis does anyone know if they would be ok with the Rams I heard Rams don't do well with other dwarf cichlids but in such a big tank I don't see why there would be a problem.

This thread is perfect timing! I have a 36 gallon tank with 2 female kribs. I got 2 days ago. I wanted a pair but they get WAY to aggressive when breeding so now I can have the color without the aggression. I also plan on getting a pair of german blue rams and a couple bumble bee gobys maybe 2 or 3. Not trying to hijack but how are your gobys? Are they too agressive or would they work with what I to have?

This thread is perfect timing! I have a 36 gallon tank with 2 female kribs. I got 2 days ago. I wanted a pair but they get WAY to aggressive when breeding so now I can have the color without the aggression. I also plan on getting a pair of german blue rams and a couple bumble bee gobys maybe 2 or 3. Not trying to hijack but how are your gobys? Are they too agressive or would they work with what I to have?

Bumble bee gobies are the best little fish personality wise. They are one of my favorite fish. They remind me of bulldogs. They don't mess with anyone and nobody messes with them. I have had them in with aggressive tanks like puffer fish and tanganyikan cichlids and in community tanks with tetras.

They are territorial with each other but they don't really chase each other aggressively they do these quick little burst at each other when one get near anothers territory and then other times they sit side by side on the same leaf. Its rally kind of funny to watch. Hope this helps. I think they would do just great with kribs.

Bumble bee gobies are the best little fish personality wise. They are one of my favorite fish. They remind me of bulldogs. They don't mess with anyone and nobody messes with them. I have had them in with aggressive tanks like puffer fish and tanganyikan cichlids and in community tanks with tetras.

They are territorial with each other but they don't really chase each other aggressively they do these quick little burst at each other when one get near anothers territory and then other times they sit side by side on the same leaf. Its rally kind of funny to watch. Hope this helps. I think they would do just great with kribs.

What/how do you feed them. I would love to get some. Where did you get them and how many should I get?

What/how do you feed them. I would love to get some.

Bumble bee Gobies are ambush hunters (they wait for there food to float by).
I start them on frozen brine shrimp then alternate with small pellets (slow sinking pellets). Now I do frozen brine shrimp once or twice a week as a treat. They will do frozen blood worms also but I have better look with the brine shrimp.

I got mine at my LFS. I think 3 or 4 is a good number. This way you can see them interact with each other.

Even in a 75g tank IMO Kribs and Rams aren't a good mix. I'm a Ram person as I got tired of dealing with Krib aggression in community tanks (even keeping same sex ones). If you get a Ram pair they will get aggressive with Kribs. I have a 100% planted 220g tank with 2 pairs of Rams and they still are very aggressive with each other. Rams, especially Ram pairs get more aggressive with age. So often when they are smaller and younger you can get away with several in a large tank but as they age aggression increases. Honestly if it were my tank I'd choose one or the other.

Even in a 75g tank IMO Kribs and Rams aren't a good mix. I'm a Ram person as I got tired of dealing with Krib aggression in community tanks (even keeping same sex ones). If you get a Ram pair they will get aggressive with Kribs. I have a 100% planted 220g tank with 2 pairs of Rams and they still are very aggressive with each other. Rams, especially Ram pairs get more aggressive with age. So often when they are smaller and younger you can get away with several in a large tank but as they age aggression increases. Honestly if it were my tank I'd choose one or the other.

Thanks for the advice. I had kribs before but never Rams. I guess I will stick with just the Ram pair I have. Are there any other dwarf cichlids that are ok with rams or is it generally not a good Idea to mix?

Thanks for the advice. I had kribs before but never Rams. I guess I will stick with just the Ram pair I have. Are there any other dwarf cichlids that are ok with rams or is it generally not a good Idea to mix?

Maybe some apistos. I think Im getting my GBRs today, so Ill tell you how it goes.

You have to be careful with adding apisto's also. Many are super aggressive. For awhile I had a trio of Double Red Apistogramma agassizii in the 220g also and while these guys are really small they ruled the tank. Even the rams yielded to them. The male Apisto was the ruler of the roost. Now they were in a huge tank so I could get away with it but if you try it you need to really research and find an Apisto that is not as aggressive. Often Apistogramma cacatuoides can work with Rams in a larger well planted tank.

Back
Top Bottom