First of two Swordtails gave birth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnaelting

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's cigar time! One of our two prego Swordtails gave birth last night. We have 6 good swimming fry and 2 that are struggling. They are in a fry tank and getting stronger. :invasion:

Now we are waiting for the other to drop her fry. Hoping for 2 more males between the two batches.

Does anyone know if it is more common to have boys or girls in the batches of fry and what is a normal ratio?

congrats on your fry babies :D

My oldest sword fry are about 5 weeks old, and they are still too small to sex. Just keep mating them and they will eventually grow out.... as for a commonality or ratio, I have no idea.

Good luck and have fun watching them,

Congrats on your fry too. Our guppy fry are now 2 months to 6 weeks old, depending on the batch. Its fun to watch them grow and gain color.

Ok the second female gave birth to 5 swimming fry, and 3-4 stills. They are all now in a 10 gallon fry tank.

Some of the second batch look a little malformed. This is not her first batch of fry. Any Idea what could have caused the deformation? :roll:

Platy fry

Hi,

My Comet Platy gave birth for the first time 9 days ago. I managed to save 10 fry. They are all doing well. It's fun watching them grow. Now I can actually see them without straining my eyes. :lol:

I have them in a small breeding trap (mesh trap) to protect them from all the larger tank inhabitants. (40gal tank) Plenty of room for the other fish to swim around. How long can they stay in the breeder trap? Can I leave them for a month in the mesh trap? I'm in the process of cycling a new 50gal tank. I was planning on moving them into the larger tank in about a months time. I would also like to release a few into my 20gal tank. Question is when will they be ready to be released. I'm afraid they might be eaten by my dwarf gouramis, and platies that I have in the 20gal tank.

Wendy

the male to female ratio is usually dependent on high or low ph.. I cant remember wich one is more likly when.. but a high ph will give you more of one and a low ph will give you more of the other..

Alright. So, let's say I have a tank with a ph of 8 and a water temp around 80, will I have more males or females?

Back
Top Bottom