First time maybe ordering fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corbo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Even though shipping is very pricey.. I'm debating ordering fish. It's easier for me since I'm in a small town. Any websites you guys would recommend?

I need an albino bristlenose, 12 cardinal tetras, and some shrimp/snails....
I hear it's usually a flat rate for shipping.. but just the thought of losing fish scares me.

Any suggestions? Or should I get my fish in the city and just make the drive.

Thanks!

Corbin

HN1 and severum mama are better then any site or store. PM them. They'll hook you up! If you'd rather order somewhere else though, liveaquaria.com is good.

Forsyth Aquatics :: Quality Aquatic Life And The Right Advice

This is HN1/SM's website. They have some great stock, and really take excellent care of their fish. I got some fish from them a few days ago.

Shipping fish seems like it would be difficult and you would have high losses, but I have ordered a lot of livestock through the mail, and every time it has worked out just fine. Yes, you will pay for shipping... but you will save on gas, and you will get exactly what you want, rather than settling on the same 10 species of FW fish that almost every store stocks.

Yeah. That's true. Thanks guys.. I've heard a lot of good about HN1 and SM... I'll probably check them out, but I also found this place called livefishdirect out of Utah.. the guy makes it sound like his facility is the Taj Mahal of fish hatcheries! Haha. Of course he would though.. he's trying to gain business, but it does look promising.

I have ordered numerous times with not one DOA, but with those fish your looking for seems like a local fish store would have those.

I would also checkout Aquabid.com , this is where my last 4 shipments came from. There's everything to exotic to commons.

My LFS sadly has none of these, but I can travel about an hour and find them. I'm not sure. I want something a bit more hard to find, but I just love the look of cardinal tetras! In my planted I think they would really shine.

I was nervous about shipping them too...then I thought "how do the lfs's get them?". Answer- the mail, lol. Just make sure you're home to open the package immediately and take lots of time to acclimate them.

Yeah. I just have to have these little beauties... :) they're my favorite and they'll add the color I need. Here's my stock list-- would you guys maybe critique it for me?

So far I have in the tank already-
1 rubberlip pleco
6 nerite snails
3 amano shrimp

planning to add (hopefully) let me know if it's overstocked---
1 albino bristlenose
10-12 cardinal tetras

any other suggestions, maybe a dwarf gourami? something that will give a different color in there? I think I have room for like 1 more. I have an aquaclear 50 running and my tank is cycled through fishless cycling.

Ahh duh. My fault, I forgot to post that!

It's a 29 gallon and I would consider it pretty heavily planted.. maybe more along the lines of moderate planted with good amount of DW

I'd skip the other pleco. bottom feeder + bottom feeder+ kind of small tank= fighting which= not enough food which = DEATH
Do you get my equation? Rofl

Yeah, I just feel bad, because I had wanted the Albino BN for such a long time, and then my girlfriend HAD to have a pleco... but guess what.. she has a 5 gallon betta tank, so I had to take in her rubberlip... I sort of "got stuck with him" and he's not social AT ALL :(

I'd skip the pleco, and instead of adding a gourami, I would add 4 or 5 more cardinals. The bigger the school, the cooler they look.

Yeah, I like the bigger school.. Just I sort of want a center piece fish... not to seem childish... but-- A fish you could name, I guess. Haha :) because I'm not going to name any of my tetras. How could I ever know?

Then you should upgrade your GF's tank to a size suitable for both the Betta and the pleco!

Yeah, I would upgrade her tank, but she complains about not having enough energy or time to upkeep... I just don't know. I guess I just need to be happy with my rubberlip pleco. I like him too

Corbo said:
Yeah, I would upgrade her tank, but she complains about not having enough energy or time to upkeep... I just don't know. I guess I just need to be happy with my rubberlip pleco. I like him too

You could maintain it for her. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom